Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New To Foundation Stage And Teaching In General Could You Help Me?

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, I signed up last week. I'm finishing my PGCE course and I've secured a job teaching reception in September! I have an introductory afternoon coming up where I get to meet my lovely bunch of P1's and need to plan some introductory/welcome activities to get them all excited to start school! I could really do with some help coming up with some ideas as I have them for an hour, feeling a little bit nervous! Thank you for your time in reading this, look forward to hearing from you :-)

Rod

Firstly, welcome to the forum and congrats ony completing your PGCE and getting a job!

When I do my transition morning for my new class I usually begin by singing some nursery rhymes on the carpet. I make sure lots of toys, games etc are set up inside and outside so children have a chance to play with things they are interested in and get used to the classroom. Adults are then free to observe, play and support children and generally chat to them. I usually have a choice painting activity set up and finish with a nice story.

I'm sure other teachers will offer lots of advise.

Good luck and enjoy!

We have a class bearso we usually begin by me telling the children about him and each of the children introducing themselves to him. We then explore and aim for the session to be as relaxed as possible so that the children don't spend the next 6 weeks worrying...!

S

Hello and welcome by the way!

We do mostly what others have said already - I make sure that there is lots on offer both inside and out and depending on the dynamics of the cohort - (girl/boy heavy) change what I offer! I also visit them in nursery and talk to the staff about stories they already know and songs they are familiar with that we would do when they visit. And I also make them a sticker to wear home saying how great they were in their new class with thier new teacher!

I don't know what others might think of this for reception but with my year one children I get them to paint a picture (I do a group at a time) which I then have up in a display for when they come in September, that way they can see it up on the wall and it's something familiar that they can feel proud of.

Possibly with reception though you might not want to do anything so structured and I guess those that did paint would want to take their painting home. Just a thought though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)