Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Challenge For Parents - Any Ideas?

Hi everyone!

I've got the annual parent's meeting this week for the new intake of reception children. Last years format was quite formal - a powerpoint and talk. The parent's also had a chance to look round all the areas in the classroom although not many chose to do this. I was hoping this year to make the meeting more relaxed and informal. I've got a few video clips of children demonstrating CI learning but I was hoping to make the session more interactive - getting the parent's to see how being the leader of their learning is so beneficial and also showing them how to support their child at home. However I have no idea how to do this?

I was thinking about setting the parent's some sort of challenge and seeing the different ways they completed it. What do other people do at their meetings? I don't want to make any parents feel uncomfortable, I work in a small school with no nursery so it will be the first time at school for some parents. Wondering now whether to just stick to original format. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Liz xx

I did something similar to this 2 years ago when I first set up my preschool. I supplied 3 parents with the exact mixture of toys, bricks, beads, cars, paper, crayons etc and told them to play - after 10 mins I went back to them and talked about how each creation was different and how each arrangement had covered an area of learning. Parents thought this was really fun and hopefully it gave them a small insight into how children plan and learn in many different ways with different resourses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)