Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading

Hello,

I have been working in the Foundation Stage for quite a while now, but I've always worked in a school under change - always good change, but always in Guided Reading. I've been told in the past to do it very formal to then completely Child Initiated. Now, I do Guided Reading on a Friday one group after another - to fit it into the day.

Does anyone have a Guided Reading plan? Would you plan it seperatly to CLL and L&S? Has anyone got any ideas for Follow Up Activities? How many times a week would you do Guided Reading? Where do you fit it in in the day?

Does anyone have a system that works..?

Please help!

We have ERIC time every day (Everyone Read In Class) straight after the lunch break for 15 minutes.

This happens in every class throughout the school and we are 4 form entry.

Activities vary each day usually on a rotation within a class but one of those activities each day is a guided reading group.

It works well for us and the children love it.

I have been considering changing to do it like Riverview does but at the moment we do it on a friday morning like you, one group after the other. I do individual activity plans for all adult led tasks so guided reading is no different, I do a plan for each group, each group as a different book which is differentiated. x

We are moving to guided reading next year, after many years of individual reading. Do any of you alternate your readers between guided one week and individual the next? Or do you purley do guided reading?

I purely do guided reading. I do inidividual reading for a rare child who struggles to focus in a group. I will support children individually in the book corner if they have initiated it. x

I do guided reading during my CLL time on a daily basis, however I alternate it between guided writing. So one week I do guided writing and my TA or parent helper will cover guided reading and then the following week I do reading and they do writing. This seems to work for me. I do train anyone who regularly does this so that there is a consistent approach to both writing and reading. I only do individual reading conferences either at the beginning or end of a term to assess where they are at in terms of their books for home. Parents would be on my back if I didn't keep a track on this. We bought into a great guided reading scheme by Heinemann called Rigby Star Phonics. Each book is clearly linked to the letters and sounds phases from 2 up to 6. The children love the characters and they cover fiction and non-ficiton. At the front they show the key words and phonemes present within the book and then at the back it has comprehension questions linked to the story. These books then provide a well rounded guided reading session.

I do guided reading during my CLL time on a daily basis, however I alternate it between guided writing. So one week I do guided writing and my TA or parent helper will cover guided reading and then the following week I do reading and they do writing. This seems to work for me. I do train anyone who regularly does this so that there is a consistent approach to both writing and reading. I only do individual reading conferences either at the beginning or end of a term to assess where they are at in terms of their books for home. Parents would be on my back if I didn't keep a track on this. We bought into a great guided reading scheme by Heinemann called Rigby Star Phonics. Each book is clearly linked to the letters and sounds phases from 2 up to 6. The children love the characters and they cover fiction and non-ficiton. At the front they show the key words and phonemes present within the book and then at the back it has comprehension questions linked to the story. These books then provide a well rounded guided reading session.

These are the books that we have just purchased, very expensive but worth it, they are lovely. Do you send these books home after your guided read or do the children have separate ones to take home? I think it would be a mistake sending the Rigby Stars home in case we lose any, as we only just have enough.

These are the books that we have just purchased, very expensive but worth it, they are lovely. Do you send these books home after your guided read or do the children have separate ones to take home? I think it would be a mistake sending the Rigby Stars home in case we lose any, as we only just have enough.

We recently bought new guided reading books - not those ones but floppy phonics and they are really good too. I know what you mean about fearing them getting lost! I do send mine home with them once they have read them but I make sure I tick off who has returned them and send a note home to parents when they don't. It is a tough call though!

We spent a lot and bought ten copies of each (I think they had a special deal) so I set up 6 for guided reading and the other 4 are what I call 'catch up books' so any children who need extra support I send home to parents. The response has been great because the parents see the value in them too. I put each in a nice folder so that they are obviously separate from their normal reading books for home.

i currently hear all my children read twice a week (although i'm lucky enough to only have 20).

i'm thinking about changing my reading next year so i hear individual readers once a week and guided reading once. Then i may also change home reading books in the middle of the week also? or would you just send home 2 or 3 books at the begging/ end of week?

always a hot topic reading!

We do Guided/Supported Reading daily from Monday to Thursday from 9 - 9.20am. The class is divided into 4 ability groups and each group reads every day with an adult. We use parent volunteers and have made up packs of books each with a script for the adult to follow. The sessions follow the same format: the book is introduced and then read to the children. After a reminder of what to do if they get stuck, the children read independently with the adult moving around the group listening to each read a few pages in turn. There is then a question about the story usually relating it to the children's own experiences. They are next asked to find a key word in the text which they make individually from magnetic letters. Finally the children are each given a cut up sentence from the book to order.

Each group reads the same book for two days.

We were introduced to this system as part of the CLLD project and I must say it really works!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)