Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jolly Phonics

hi brenda

it depends very much on the level of impairment. If your children cant see letter at all, then they wil probably be leaning braille or moon? Im not that sure what use jolly phonics would be?

On the other hand if they have enough vision to be able to read large print, then you wil need large print versions of the letters and lots of one to one work on the actions. You will also need letters in multi textured format so that the children can feel what a letter shape should look like., but also need to be big enogh to be able to see them as well.

perhaps others have other experiences?

Hi Brenda, I tought braille to a totaly blind child of three. So that she felt totaly included in jolly phonic circle times ,I made sure that she always had the real object to hold and put the brailled letter on the object. ie you would use a for ant she had an apple, etc. The letters are learnt differently in braille, but i am sure she will enjoy being part of the group using props. Ask your TA to put together a sound bag, also I made a set of braille cards so that when the teacher held up a card and asked the children what sound it was I could offer it to the little girl to read also.

I have a few braille items if they are any good to you, let me know.

hi susan

moon is another tactile r eading system that is much easier to read than braille. Generally used with adults who lose their sight later inlife, it is also used for chidlren who may have additional learning difficulties and who find braille difficult.

It is made up of a series of lines ad curves, many of which are simpler forms of the alphabet we know.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)