Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Much Do You Have In Your Home Corner?

Not big furniture type items; but cutlery, crockery, dolls.

Do you put out everyhting you have? Do you have a specific number of pans/plates/cups?

Particularly --- how many dolls do you have out a time?

Do you also have a phone, a calculator, a diary, etc etc

I feel that ours is 'over stocked' and it is hindering the play but just wanted some other points of view.

Thank you.

We have just over hauled our home corner. We've gone back to basics!

We've got rid of all the plastic food and have just bought some gorgeous wooden sets from D&G and TTS. We also have bought a realistic toaster and kettle and bought children's melamine plates and cups- only a set of 4, and proper childrens cutlery to go with it. we just felt the more there was, the more trashed it got. Hopefully they will treat the new things with respect. Only just done it this week so we'll have to see.

As for dolls etc we do have a large number but we out out a selection, with others being accessible. Have also ordered 4 special needs dolls so these will be out as part of the continuous provision when they arrive.

We really wanted to get away from plastic stuff.

We have come to the conclusion that less would be better, we have cut down on provision and will rotate or enrich according to interest and need, we are making a photocatalogue of resources so the children can ask if they want something different.

This week we are trying real crockery and cutlery, just four place settings for tea and sandwich and cake resources. Today went well, everyone was really carefull and the area looked neat and tidy after tidy up time. We will see how we progress.

the more there was, the more trashed it got

That is exactly it! And the harder they find it to tidy up.

I think a revamp is in order.

I like the idea of the visual catalogue as our children are all EAL

We have just over hauled our home corner. We've gone back to basics!

We've got rid of all the plastic food and have just bought some gorgeous wooden sets from D&G and TTS. We also have bought a realistic toaster and kettle and bought children's melamine plates and cups- only a set of 4, and proper childrens cutlery to go with it. we just felt the more there was, the more trashed it got. Hopefully they will treat the new things with respect. Only just done it this week so we'll have to see.

As for dolls etc we do have a large number but we out out a selection, with others being accessible. Have also ordered 4 special needs dolls so these will be out as part of the continuous provision when they arrive.

We really wanted to get away from plastic stuff.

Could I ask where you got your special needs dolls from and what kind of things you got?

We have china plates (8) tea cups and saucers, milk, sugar and cream jugs (china) I have just recently made some strawberries from felt cuisine (free pattern) and the children love them, I have on my to do list to make some of the felt pasta and pancakes, they are really realistic and offer a lovely alternative to hard plastic. We also have stainless steel pans etc from Ikea, all of our home corner stuff is realistic. the cupboards are stocked with real tins of food (small tins) and we have just invested in two bags for life of food from mothercare, again very realistic, in the opposite corner we have dressing up trolley, ironing board, dolls cot and selection of babies, a small side table with telephone, flowers, diary and pencils. in the middle is a small dining area, with four chairs and flowers.

Edited by cupcake

We also find that less is more. Half-termly-ish we have a revamp - reducing the amount of resources as this often builds up with added enhancements but not wanting to remove previous enhancements as children still using them. We only provide enough resources that the children can use at one time - 4 plates, 4 sets of cutlery, 4 cups etc. We have a small selection of wooden food and utensils. We have 2 dolls out at the moment, sometimes have more depending on interest.

We often reduce our areas of provision to the bare minimum and build resources up from there.

Green Hippo x

They were from Multicultural toys 4 u

http://multiculturaltoys4u.co.uk/index.php...products_id=680

"Adorable rag dolls help familiarize children with the various equipment used by children with disabilities. Each of the 14-1/2" rag dolls feature yarn hair and come dressed in removable sweat suits. Dolls feature an Asian boy, white boy, Hispanic girl, and black girl. Includes: forearm crutches, wheelchair, glasses, and leg braces. "

thought they were very good value as they came with the equipment rather than buy it all separately as most catalogues seem to sell it.

I went on Freecycle and got a real baby's moses basket and a stand, babybath, pushchair, one of those bouncing chairs, real cot blankets, babygrows, baby bottles, trainer cups etc ......

The children, both boys and girls, love it cos its real and many of them have little brothers and sisters at home.

We have 1 little person who often has to feed and change her baby brother herself and she was able to show the others how to look after a real baby. You could see how important she felt and she was so pleased.

Real is best if you can.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)