Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Family Support Worker

Hi all,

I am currently thinking about becoming a FSW and hopefully have managed to get a voluntary placement in our new Children's Centre which opens next month.

I currently have NVQ CCLD level 3 but wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for any further training or courses I could do to help me should a paid job come up.

The problem is I could really do with studying from home rather than attending college and have found a couple of courses which might be relevant - 'Counselling children + adolescents' and 'Social work with children and families'.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I part with any money?

I know of a couple of FSW who have only the level 3. I dont know if things are different in different parts of the country though or even if a level 3 is suitable these days, they have been in role a number of years. Have you looked at FSW vacancies for an idea?

Haven't looked at vacancies - obvious place to start I suppose! :o

The Government website mentions Foundation Degree in 'professional studies in family support' or 'BTEC HNC' but obviously I will have to attend college for these.

Thanks Rea

Hi

I have just got a job as a FSW but haven't started the job yet so can't really say what to train in - I got the job with NNEB and OU Cert EYP (level 4) working towards FDEY. My new job was advertised by the local LA, but my employer is Action for Children. A for C have vacancies on their website. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I have been doing this job for a year and I have just changed, same job but for a different authority- (nearer home) slightly different name and role but essentially the same role. I love it, such a challenge and so much diversity.

I have a level 3, and I am undertaking the Foundation degree although this not a requirement for role, I also worked as a Social work assistant in the past.

Minimum level 3 requirement, but also lots of relevant experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I am currently thinking about becoming a FSW and hopefully have managed to get a voluntary placement in our new Children's Centre which opens next month.

I currently have NVQ CCLD level 3 but wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for any further training or courses I could do to help me should a paid job come up.

The problem is I could really do with studying from home rather than attending college and have found a couple of courses which might be relevant - 'Counselling children + adolescents' and 'Social work with children and families'.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I part with any money?

Hi,

Im working as a FSW for a children's charity working within the children's centre team in groups etc and needed to be qualified to, or working towards, a level 3.

Hope that helps.

Rach

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I am working as a support worker, employed by a charity, in a local children's centre. I actually asked what I could do to further my development and hopefully climb the career ladder. My boss was brilliant about it and asked me where I wanted to be in 5 years time!

I mentioned that I had thought about doing some form of counselling to help me in my role and he told me that I needed to be very careful as I wouldn't actually be allowed to counsel in a children's centre. This type of work is referred on to the professionals, as it is not what we are about - a listening ear, advise and encourage parents re their little ones development, advice on behavioural management, encouragement and praise, support but not counsel and to have a friendly and approachable manner and more importantly to give children under 4 a sure start in life!! Sorry if this sounds a bit on the preachy side but this was how it was said to me ( but not in a preachy way).

I don't know if the non-counselling rule applies to all centres, but I was also told that one of our senior workers is a qualified counsellor and has to be very careful not to counsel!!

He did suggest sign language, as he felt it would be very beneficial. At present we don't have any families with hearing difficulties, but he felt it would be nice to have someone available that could sign if it was needed. As to what to do next to further my development, I am still unsure and have spoken to others regarding where I want to go, but I will definately look into sign language, both Makaton and British.

I have my NVQ Level 3 CCLD and this is my first paid position since getting it. I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a job so much and would happily do it for free. As has already been stated, there is soooo much variety. Good luck and enjoy your placement :o

Hi Mummyspud,

Thank you very much (and everyone else) for your replies.

I have a basic knowledge of Somerset Total Communication which is our local sign language and am about to do a further course on this so knowing that they though it was useful for you makes it all the more worthwhile.

I have also spoken to the support workers at the Children's Centre since posting this question and they too have mentioned the fact that you just need to be a good listener and approachable, and the fact that it is the type of person you are more than the qualifications that are important - although CCLD level 3 or equivalent is a requirement.

And yes I was told that the Social Work course would be more beneficial than the Counselling as we are not there to counsel.

Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)