Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Have To Prove That You've Moderated In School

And if you do....how?

My TA and I discuss the profiles together as much as we can and agree the points between us (don't get any time allowed for this, but sometimes manage in my PPA time) but I just found a document my Head should have passed on to me in November about moderation where it says that you can't get 'Good' unless you have moderated internally or with other schools.

Will they take my word for it, or do I have to evidence it in some way?

Moderation on Friday, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by TesTwinkles

This drives me potty - nowhere in all the guidance and info that we moderation managers get from QCDA does it say that we are to grade schools. Yes we would indicate to a HT that there are things that might make their data less secure and Internal moderation opps should be there as part of the schools quality assurance processes, and not doing it could indicate less security but it does not give a grade!!

I ask my practitioners about their internal moderation and they tell me. They do not have to produce anything to prove it!! Equally I would argue that attending your central peer moderation meeting or being externally moderated = your entitlement to moderate with others at least once a year.

However some LAs seem to make up their own rules.

I don't grade my schools!! I give clear feedback on their data collection and QA processes and whether or not the professional knowledge of the team making the judgements is in line with the national criteria in the handbook. AND THAT'S ALL!!!

So can't comment on your LA and what they intend to do but it isn't a national expectation that they do so.

Cx

I was told prior to our moderation from the LEA that they expected to see evidance of 'in-house moderation'. They asked to see evidance of this for each of the scale points they moderated. We simply had 3 learning journeys (a child on scale poitns 1-3, 4-7, 8-9) that our early years team had moderated together-we each initialled and dated the evidance to show our agreement. They were more than happy with this style of moderation as well as the on going professional dialogue that you have every day with your early years staff about observations and scale point judgements.

Hope this helps!

I don't grade my schools!! I give clear feedback on their data collection and QA processes and whether or not the professional knowledge of the team making the judgements is in line with the national criteria in the handbook. AND THAT'S ALL!!!

Cx

Same process in my LA

Thanks for all your replies. I'm in Kent and we are definitely graded at moderation. For the last 2 years, we've been judged as 'good' and I set myself the PM target of achieving 'Outstanding' this year as the only thing that the moderator said we were missing was evidence of parent voice and we introduced a Home learning Journal this year which has been really quite successful.

Now, of course, I'm really fed up since I've discovered the grading chart has been changed and now we can't even get 'good' without internal moderation or moderation with other local schools! Grr!!

My LA has moderation meeting for reception teachers to take along evidence to share with other schools. What normally happens (not sure about this year as I'm not involved) is one year a school will attend these meetings and the next year the moderation will be in school so effectively moderated each year

Yup - the expectation is 100% moderation model of either visits (25% I think, from memory annually) and the rest central meetings.

Cx

My LA does 50% so we are moderated in school every other year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)