Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Profiles/acheivement Folders

Hi everyone

Im looking for some advice/opinions on profiles/records of achievments for the under threes, was thinking along the lines of small A5 folders that could contain photographs of the children throughout thier time at nursery, observations of developmental milestones such as sitting up, walking first words etc and maybe some paintings etc.

Do you think this would be suitable?

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

Grafter x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grafter,

You are the first person I have replied to on the forum so I hope I can help!

In answer to your question about how your record of achievements should look, it is entirely up to you; however, what you clearly want them do is to show is that your children are making progress.

My advice to any setting that I talk to is never put anything in unless it is there for a reason!

• Short observations should contain the facts about what a child did or said.
  • Longer observation may contain the child's next steps.
  • Samples or 'work' and photos should also contain some context otherwise no one knows why they are in there!
  • You may want to reference each observation to one or two areas of learning, but no more.

Once you have your observations you can then review each child's learning/development matters milestones by writing short summaries about how much progress they have made since the last summary. In my opinion, getting yourself into a rolling programme for writing these summaries is always a good idea as it lessens the workload!

I am sure others will add their thoughts and ideas but good luck and enjoy your children!

Take Care

Dilly :o

Hi Dilly

Congratultions on posting your first answer to someone's query! You've given some great advice.

Can I ask you about the last point on your list - why do you advise only referencing an observation to two areas of learning?

Maz

Guest jane707
Hi Dilly

Congratultions on posting your first answer to someone's query! You've given some great advice.

Can I ask you about the last point on your list - why do you advise only referencing an observation to two areas of learning?

Maz

I am a childminder and only reference to one or perhaps 2 areas of learning and development as well.

I find people I speak to get really bogged down looking for references to different areas and the whole purpose of the observation can be lost as it is 'stretched' to fit in different places and if you focus on the main meaning of the observation it helps to follow through to the focus of next steps as well.

So if you have a child who is playing in the sand and makes a discovery about the relative weight of 2 buckets, I would reference that to PSR&N and make a next steps note to consider other weights and comparisons.

I know in my head he was using his gross motor skills lifting the buckets and his language skills to tell me what he had found out, but that is all secondary to the focus, which is his wonderful understanding of comparing weight.

:o

Hi Grafter,

You are the first person I have replied to on the forum so I hope I can help!

In answer to your question about how your record of achievements should look, it is entirely up to you; however, what you clearly want them do is to show is that your children are making progress.

My advice to any setting that I talk to is never put anything in unless it is there for a reason!

• Short observations should contain the facts about what a child did or said.
  • Longer observation may contain the child's next steps.
  • Samples or 'work' and photos should also contain some context otherwise no one knows why they are in there!
  • You may want to reference each observation to one or two areas of learning, but no more.

Once you have your observations you can then review each child's learning/development matters milestones by writing short summaries about how much progress they have made since the last summary. In my opinion, getting yourself into a rolling programme for writing these summaries is always a good idea as it lessens the workload!

I am sure others will add their thoughts and ideas but good luck and enjoy your children!

Take Care

Hiya Dilly, im a cm too and trying to decide which proformas to use my mindees are both under 20mths so thought that a link with developmental stges is alright for now - what system do you use ?- time is always an issue and I dont want reams of paperwork

my initial idea was just do daily diary- link to EYFS areas - note and date any significant milestones- but then Ive started looking at shortterm planning or can I get away with not doing this till they are over three ? Surely its all about investigative free play ? Feel like sharing your system ideaswith me ? Im quite attracted to the one folder with subsections in for each child so I dont have dip in and out of two folders.... your thoughts please new mindees due to start soon.... many thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dilly

Maz

Hi Maz,

My reference to two areas of learning was purely to emphasise the need not to think too widely! Often we can see all six areas of learning going on in one observation but if we want to show that we are using our observations for planning then just focussing on one or two will help. (In my opinion!)

Hiya Dilly, im a cm too and trying to decide which proformas to use my mindees are both under 20mths so thought that a link with developmental stges is alright for now - what system do you use ?- time is always an issue and I dont want reams of paperwork

my initial idea was just do daily diary- link to EYFS areas - note and date any significant milestones- but then Ive started looking at shortterm planning or can I get away with not doing this till they are over three ? Surely its all about investigative free play ? Feel like sharing your system ideaswith me ? Im quite attracted to the one folder with subsections in for each child so I dont have dip in and out of two folders.... your thoughts please new mindees due to start soon.... many thanks :)

Hi Waveawand!

I am really glad that you found my ramblings useful. I am not actually a cm but do work with alot of cm's and know how they provide such an individual service for thier children.

I think that having a diary to record your children's special momoents is a lovely idea and linking to the areas of learning and development matters is always a help when planning.

Most cm's I know have one folder for each child so that it can then be shared with and added to by the parents.

You are also right in that these young children should be provided with opportunites for investigative free play but I am sure that you plan what you might provide for your little ones because you have noticed something that they really like or need support with?

That is where your short term planning comes in and it can be as simple as you like as long as you are reflecting the 'learning' that you would like them to get from an activity. I have attached a some sheets that I developed with one of my childminders for you to adapt. You will see individual plans (similar to one on EYFS CD-Rom) that you may use over a period of time and also a weekly plan which could encorporate all of your children.

I hope that this helps you a bit.

Take care,

Individual_Plan_childminder.doc

Weekly_Plan_Childminder.doc

Hi Waveawand!

I am really glad that you found my ramblings useful. I am not actually a cm but do work with alot of cm's and know how they provide such an individual service for thier children.

I think that having a diary to record your children's special momoents is a lovely idea and linking to the areas of learning and development matters is always a help when planning.

Most cm's I know have one folder for each child so that it can then be shared with and added to by the parents.

You are also right in that these young children should be provided with opportunites for investigative free play but I am sure that you plan what you might provide for your little ones because you have noticed something that they really like or need support with?

That is where your short term planning comes in and it can be as simple as you like as long as you are reflecting the 'learning' that you would like them to get from an activity. I have attached a some sheets that I developed with one of my childminders for you to adapt. You will see individual plans (similar to one on EYFS CD-Rom) that you may use over a period of time and also a weekly plan which could encorporate all of your children.

I hope that this helps you a bit.

Take care,

Thanks Dilly, your a star ! I thought any planning this way will be retrospective which makes sense as they are so young ! will let you know how I get on !! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)