Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Employment Help Please

Hi everyone,

I need another member of staff to work with the children and have looked at the 'suitable person criteria' in the EYFS Document for clarification.

What I want to know do you all employ only qualified staff in Pre-schools now? I was wondering if I can still take on an unqualified person to train up over time.

The new member of staff would be included in ratios.

As long as 50% of your staff in addition to the manager have a relevant qualification your other staff can be unqualified. At least at the moment :o

I want to say a level 2 is still acceptable but I don't have my copy of the EYFS to hand. That should be the relevant information as the only changes were proposed by the last government as an aspiration for 2015 for all staff to be level 3 qualified. I have raised this with two representatives from the CWDC before the election and they took on board my concerns that settings like mine might struggle to recruit as we traditionally take on parents who then develop an interest in training. Also as a morning only setting we generally don't pay enough for younger, just out of college staff to want to wok for us when they can earn at least double by doing double the hours at a full day setting up the road. Nothing may come of that now anyway.

Page 31 of the Statutory Guidance says:-

In registered settings other than childminding settings, all supervisors and managers must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined by the Children’s Workforce Development Council (CWDC)) and half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification (as defined by CWDC).

Maz

Thanks Holly and Maz,

I was hoping to take a parent on who may do a level 2 in the future. I feel you need experience working in childcare before you do a level 3 qualification.

That's answered my question then for now.

:o