Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Centre Teacher Job!

Knoksk

Hey guys I have got an interview for a children's centre teacher job (working with birth to 5 years) I was wondering if any of you would know the type of interview questions they would ask. Will they be similar to teacher interviews or will they be more early years based? Thanks for your time. Oh it is a Sure Start position.

Knoksk

Edited by Knoksk

[quote name='Knoksk' date='May 28 2010, 11:23' post='25536

Hey guys I have got an interview for a children's centre teacher job (working with birth to 5 years) I was wondering if any of you would know the type of interview questions they would ask. Will they be similar to teacher interviews or will they be more early years based? Thanks for your time. Oh it is a Sure Start position.

Knoksk

I am doing this role at the moment (even though I usually wear the head teacher's hat!) I would expect them to ask you about planning and observational asessment , provision should be based on the childrens interests etc.

They might ask about integrating care and education- I always say that if you remove the words 'care' and 'education' and replace with 'nurture' then we have the start of a common vocabulary!

They could ask about the issues of working together as a team- mentioning valuing everyones contribution to developing the whole child is a good starting point.

'flexible' listening, 'consulting and working with parents' - all buzz words!

Good Luck

A friend of mine had an interview for a Children's Centre teacher post about 3 months ago and she said the main emphasis was on safeguarding, integrated working and involving parents. (She got the job). Good luck.

I think if I were interviewing I would be thinking about

how the teacher can impact on narrowing the gap of the lowest attaining children in the area - this is one of the CYPP targets

and also

what impact can the teacher have on improving the FSP profile points in the area. You might want to look at these figures for the local schools if you can get hold of them and see where they are under performing to see if there are any other considerations apart from the normal PSE and CLL - we have one centre which is underperforming in physical development so that is an area that we are concentrating on.

How would you link with schools on transition. Link and support the childminders network.

And as someone else says how will you evidence the impact/outcomes. You might also want to run some parenting programmes for the very youngest children and try and engage parents earlier on prevention etc and of course there will be a sfeguarding question but no doubt you will have the covered.

You could check out the Children's Centre Ofsted SEF and the guidance as this would give you an outline of what they are expecting the centre to achieve and you could look at how you might support some of the areas.

Nikki

All the best

Nxx

I was interviewing for new CC teachers last month and we asked about all of the above. We also asked things like why you were suited to this role and had candidates teach a small group session.

Cx

It depends what Authority you work in but in my interview for a children's centre teacher I was asked to do a presentation of what best practice in early years looks like and how I would lead others in this. also as said previously, lots of questions about outcomes/impact and very important to consider partnership with parents. the 'closing the gap' issue is a huge one, and slao how to engage hard to reach families.#

Good luck! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)