Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hi all,

Just wanted to share this news/idea with you because I'm so pleased with the result this year.

For the last couple of years we have specifically invited the dads, grandads, into Pre-school to visit during the week following Father's Day (21st-25th June). We advertise activities such as lego, balls games, construction - becuase although a bit stereotypical the men we've spoken to are worried we are going to get them to play with the dolls or do painting!

Anyway, this year I've done the same and last week invited the menfolk for 36 families. Well, although we've only had 9 replies so far, 7 of those have accepted our invitiation and will be coming in for upwards of 1/2 an hour during that week.

I am so pleased with such a positive response.... I think we are fortunate(?) that 33 children live with both parents and the other 3 have regular and amicable contact with their dads.

Such a success - I just wanted to share.

:oxD

Yes you are lucky - and well done for keeping them involved. I work in an area where over 50% of my catchment area is made up of lone parents, so we often don't even know who the Dad's are as they are never declared. But good for you - my children have not had a Dad in their lives for years and I do know how important it is for them to keep in touch - I feel that they miss out so much on their child's upbringing and I know for the most part they want to be involved. So what if is stereotypical - its what they know, what they like so its actually meeting their needs - hey I could say something very sexist now but I won't but the term "if it aint broke - dont fix it" anything you can do to attract them in means you are meeting their needs - so well done.

Nikki

Thats really good! Well done,

I work in a childrens centre and we are constantly trying to engage with dads.We have only 3 or 4 who come to sessions such as story time or big fish,little fish (at our local pool)

We recently held a dads digging day(bought lots of plants )and no one turned up!

Unsworth

We recently held a dads digging day(bought lots of plants )and no one turned up!

that is so disappointing xD

we also used a bit of 'pester power' all the children knew daddy was being invited in, and took the letter home, in their hand, with instructions to make daddy read it! :o

We have to keep trying but also admit that some dads (and mums) just want to drop their children off and go home!

We keep trying this one, with mixed success. Earlier this year we flagged up a 'Bring your dad to nursery' week; it wasn't a big take up, but those that came in were a great success and seemed to enjoy it. We can only hope that if we keep offering specific opportunities the word will get around. Of course, we also make it clear that any family member is welcome at any time - we've had granny coming in to help with a special birthday tea, which was great!

Sue

At our Nursery we are inviting the Dads, Grandads or Uncles (Depending on who is around) to come for Father's Day Tea. This is an hour long and we serve Hotdogs, burgers and salad. The Dads come in and collect their child from the room and go and help themselves to tea. They then sit down to eat along with all the other Dads, that way they don't feel quite so silly. They then have an opportunity to play in the garden with their children.

We tried this with Mums a couple of years ago and it worked really well. We weren't sure if it would work with the Dads but it worked better than we thought and we are now on the third year of doing it. They are not as chatty as the mum's but hey it's getting them involved!! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)