Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reports Question

Guest Pebble123

Guest Pebble123

Its the dreaded report writing time again, they take so long !

My question is do you think it is appropriate to put that a child is working at above, below or at the expected level for the 6 areas-a score of 6 being 'average' . This is what i have to do and I feel uneasy about it, the children are still so young and change so quickly and I feel we are labelling them.

What do you think ?

Welcome to the Forum, Pebble123 and congratulations on making your first post.

I know what you mean about labelling, and I can understand how difficult it is when you have so many reports to write - I'm in pre-school so face entirely different pressures to you. As a parent I would be interested in what my child's learning looks like when he is working above, below or at the expected level - what can he do, what does he know? If he's working below the expected level why is that and what support does he need/is he getting?

From what I read on here I think a lot of early years teachers have to do things by their schools which they feel uneasy with - for some people its sort of par for the course. Doesn't make you feel any better though does it?

Chin up - nearly half term!

Maz

Could you perhaps put down some statement from the ages and stages or profile of things they can do and what they are working towards? Not sure if this would be accepted/acceptable or not. I'm not suggesting you put down the actual age range that the statement comes from. It would enable parents to celebrate what their child has achieved and give them an idea of things they could be working on to support their child's learning.

• 3 weeks later...

We put a statement in that says "X is making progress towards the early goals", "X is making progress within the context of the early goals" or "X has attained the early learning goals" for each of the strands. We also put in a copy of the graph from the eyFSP software that shows which points their child has achieved and a brief letter explaining what the profile is and what is expected.

Hope this helps.

I do the same as jenwren by putting in the chart from target tracker that shows their progress for baseline to now. I don't write abut how they are over or below expectations, I think it's important to highlight the skills that each child has however small or basic they are. For each area of learning I select one of the scale points that the child hasn't acheieved as their target. In my general comments section I make a comment about whether the children have made very good/good/steady/slow progress across the areasof learning, and then suggest ways that the child could make greater progress i.e sustained concentration, listen carefully, developing written skills to put their ideas to paper etc.

There was some other talk about reports earlier last week, might be of use to you.

http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...showtopic=25319

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)