Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recruitment Woes

Hi all

Well comm meeting tonight and we have had one applicant for the job of manager!! Not a brilliant one at that! The chair even asked me if i would conside doing the job :( :( xD:(:o (i love my pre-school job too much!!).

So we are thinking why only 1? Advertised as approx 30 hrs per week, £8.50/h so not bad (midlands based). Given the staff we have at the mo we know we need a strong people manager too. Not sure what we are going to do. We have said that we do not want to recruit the only applicant if not suitable.

Deputy is suffering from stress doing the job and is desperate to step down.

Any ideas anyone?

Guest mukerjee1

Have found to my dismay that recruiting the only applicant for the job sometimes is not the best course of action - unless they are exactly what you want. No words of wisdom really, just words of caution at accepting the only applicant if you have misgivings. All the best.

Guest tinkerbell

we have an afterschool at my school and we have had similar problems ,trying to find a co-ordinator withthe relevant qualifications has been a nightmare....we asked other afterschool clubs in the area if they used anyone on supply or casual workers who may have the qualification and be interested.We also phoned the local collage and asked the leaders if there were any students nearly qualified or recently qualified who they could recommend or point in our direction.

I don't think taking the person because they are the only one who applied would be a good ideabecause trying to 'get rid' of a poor worker is really hard, we have had a poor worker who has not pulled their weight for 4 years now and have alsorts of disciplinary problems going on.You have said you will need a strong manager....what does your chairperson do??

good luck

Guest jenpercy

Not fair/realistic to rely on the chair. You can't rely on having ANY strong committee members.

Am just about to advertise for a Deputy but I'm not holding my breath. for any job we advertise, we have rarely had a choice. The only time I remember a real choice with 2 wonderful possibilities, neither of them could do it as they'd been offered other jobs by the time we decided!!!!!

Guest jenpercy

Not fair/realistic to rely on the chair. You can't rely on having ANY strong committee members.

Am just about to advertise for a Deputy but I'm not holding my breath. for any job we advertise, we have rarely had a choice. The only time I remember a real choice with 2 wonderful possibilities, neither of them could do it as they'd been offered other jobs by the time we decided!!!!! Just thought maybe less hours? Our Supervisor is 25 hours, includes an hour a day non-contact time. Then I do billing etc. Perhaps an office job and a club job?

Good Luck with your search, but please don't let the only applicant know they are the only one. That way, when you send out the 'Unfortunately, at this moment, your application has been unsucessful' letter, it' won't be a total shock.

Fe

We've just held our 2nd round of interviews to find a new assistant (well, third round if you count the person we took on who left shortly after starting). It was frustrating not to get a new employee last time round but we are now very glad we held out as we have found a brilliant new person who is really well qualified.

Where have you advertised? We found the very best response was from our LEA website, where we could advertise for free. Our local paper didn't get us much in the way of applicants.

Also, think about putting cards up in local shops, and find out whether there is a newsletter that goes round to other settings nearby where you could put your advert in.

Good luck!

Hi all

We would never let the candidate know she was the only one!

We have an experienced TA from the schoolk who used to manage the club years ago as a consultant to help out the new manager and deputy with EYFS etc. She has just done new policies.Im helping deputy out with other bits and sorting out the staff training and getting up to date. Other committee members are looking at sorting activities, visits etc for holiday club so we are all doing our best in trying to do the managers paperwork side of things.

Apparently 2 other clubs in area have struggled to hire staff also so we may contact them to see how they eventually manged. We advertise in local paper, shops, and through LEA. Will have to keep trying.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)