Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Meeting My New Team Tonight

Hi everyone

Hope you are all well, I am due to start a new post of a new private nursery manager in two weeks and the owner has invited me and the 4 other staff to hers tonight so we can all meet and have a chat etc. I am so nervous, anyone got any words of wisdom for me please?x

Hi,

Hope it all goes well. I would use this as an opportunity just to get to know a little bit about each member of the team and to feel relaxed rather than worrying too much about the future. If you could find out one or two things about each person, even if after you make a few notes then you could refer to it when you meet up next time. not sure this makes sense but hopefully you will understand e.g. if one of the team tells you they have a daughter and a son doing exams then next time you meet you can ask how they are doing. It just gives a feeling that you care about them as a person as well as a member of your team. you don't need to get life histories but just a couple of facts to use in future.

Hope it goes well, do let us know

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Thats a great idea Nicky Sussex, will help ease the 1st day awkwardness in a few weeks to, as I will be able to chat to them about those sorts of things.

Thanks again for the great and quick reply x

Hi - no 'words of wisdom' - but just wanted to say good luck - how exciting - don't forget to let us know how you got on! :o

Good luck from me too! Just be yourself, you got the job so the owner saw a great person in there ;-)

Aaaaw thank you both for your replies and kind words, just being a typical girl now and trying to work out what to wear haha!

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Grafter x

Hi everyone

Well thats me back, met the girls who will be working in the nursery, they were lovely, seemed nice and friendly.

I dont know whats going on with me, I thought I would come home all excited and raring to go but for some reason Im feeling a bit strange, think im begining to get cold feet and I cant put my finger on why! Something just doesnt feel right and I cant help thinking Im taking a big gamble leaving my current job.

Sorry for sounding so negative, hopefully I will feel better in the morning x

Hi, I can talk from recent experience, i started new job as after school club manager last week. I felt very much the same as you and think i was in tears everyday last week, wondering why I had left my old job!

But i feel much better this week and am concentrating all my efforts into doing a good job. Theres something about being out of your comfort zone thats makes you feel really unsettled though isnt there? Its easy to want to go back to whats familiar and 'safe'.

Im sure what your feeling is just becuase its all new, you kinda just have to ride it out it will get better

Hope this helps

Jo

Hi Westie

Thank you so much for the reply, it has made me feel better knowing that someone else has been through the cold feet stage and that its completley normal!

Maybe its just the newness of it all and that its a bit overwhelming.

Glad you are feeling better this week and hope it continues to go well!

Clare x

Hi everyone

Well thats me back, met the girls who will be working in the nursery, they were lovely, seemed nice and friendly.

I dont know whats going on with me, I thought I would come home all excited and raring to go but for some reason Im feeling a bit strange, think im begining to get cold feet and I cant put my finger on why! Something just doesnt feel right and I cant help thinking Im taking a big gamble leaving my current job.

Sorry for sounding so negative, hopefully I will feel better in the morning x

Hey - don't beat yourself up about 'cold feet' - perfectly normal I would say - changing jobs is a massive deal! :o

I would say the same, you probably have mixed emotions about the whole venture which is perfectly normal.....we try to suss everything out in the first meeting when actually it takes ages, I am just coming to the end of my first year with a new team and just when I think things are ok they aren't again, I think that is the joys of being a manager, sometimes it is great but a lot of the time it is a juggling game with peoples egos and ideas......I don't mean to put a negative spin on it, you learn so much about yourself and we will be with you along your journey.....try not to overthink things - I do that all the time and it ends up spinning around my head ALL the time.......keep smiling... :oxD:(

Edited by Guest

Thank you everyone for your kind words, encouragement and advice! I really do appreciate it!

I keep overthinking things all the time to Shirel so you are not alone haha!

I feel a bit more positive about things today, now that ive slept on it, just need to keep telling myself, onwards and upwards :o

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply and help calm me down a bit x