Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Your Words Of Wisdom!

dottyp

These children are our future - we need to get it right

Families today are facing increased stress in their lives and practitioners will need to help not only the children but their famileis too

More children are in childcare for major part of the week - its more than childcare

There is still a lot of really poor quality care out there unfortunately with workers not really understanding the basics of child development - theorists etc.

With a poorly skilled workforce we will never move on to getting valued

Nikki

I think the term "highly skilled workforce" would be better than "highly trained workforce".

Couldn't agree more :o

Training and qualifications are only a part, even the 'highest degree in the land' is no good if practitioners do not have the skills to put their knowledge into practice!

I also think (and rarely see it mentioned) that their are innate skills that are essential: patience, sense of humour to name but two!

Edited by Geraldine

The other thing worth mentioned is how fundamentally vital it is to get things right with children at this age. So many times I've seen children start school unable to speak/behave, etc. and by the age of 4 or 5 it is getting a bit late to undo the damage done in the home. If highly skilled and preferably well paid early years practitioners can get children on the right course at this age, it will feed into everything else that happens during their education.

An excerpt from my essay of the role of the early years leader

Hope it helps a bit.... :o

The Rumbold Committee (1990) cited in Edgington (2009) advocate Early Years education taking place in a variety of situations, they describe practitioners as “educators”, however OFSTED inspecting quality of teaching refer to educators and practitioners, there still seems to be some conflict to the introduction of highly qualified staff teaching in the early years, a crucial stage of child development surely requires motivated and knowledgeable staff, perhaps it is the term “Practitioner” that is misleading insinuating that the teacher is still practicing their role. The Education and Employment Committee (2000) cited in Edgington (2009) suggests that all settings within the Early Years sector has a trained teacher leading practice, Siraj-Blatchford et al (2002) cited in Edgington (2009) supports this theory her findings show that the employment of a qualified teacher can ensure less skilled staff work more successfully within the setting. Daines, Daines and Graham (2002) cited in Edgington (2009) pertaining to staff training needs suggest that training can support and enhance the practitioners knowledge ensuring their ability, principles and manner are garnered in support of positive outcomes for the setting.

So sorry lalaloulou - what on earth made me transcribe your name i do not know! Many many apologies after giving me such an informative response! must be my nerves taking over for

my FS degree interview tomorrow! dottyp :o

Good luck for today dottyp. :o

Let us know how it went won't you.

Well, I had my interview at college today to enrol in an early years foundation degree!

An hour later, they phoned to say I had been given a place and start in sept 10!

Very excited .... not sure i'll be so keen in a few months time lol! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)