Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Food Topic

Hi guys,

Next term were are going to be doing a theme around food.I would be really greatful if you have any great ideas for activities around food.

Thank You :o

You could do some growing of food if you haven't already, and good books are Jasper's beanstalk, Jack and the Beanstalk, The enormous turnip.

You could look at food from other cultures - Handa's surprise

What about the Gingerbread man - could write speech bubbles for him, make ginger bread men.

Put different food in builders tray to compare textures.

Will let you know if I think of anything else! x

How about making a recipe book? Parents contribute family favorites, which you cook in the setting, then make up a book with photos, drawings etc. You could sell copies as a fund raiser if necessary.

Choosing a recipe and then going shopping for the ingredients?

Celebrate Wesak if you haven't planned it in for next week. (major Buddhist festival 28th -30th May) - doesn't matter if post dated. One of my favourite festivals for Food. Last year we listened and re-enacted the story of the Buddha and watched a presentation about how Wesak is celebrated.

As food investiagations we had potatoes, onions,peppers,garlic and chillies to explore peeling, slicing,chopping,pressing and de-seeding with tweezers.

We made Potato cakes and Sweet chilli sauce,printed Prayer Flags with vegetable prints and wrote messages to accompany them and danced and listened to Buddhist music.

We finished with sharing our meal together outside with Prayer our flags flying and Party Poppers. It was only a day's event but it could have lasted a week! luluj

Pizza making is always fun. Making the dough then adding different topics. If you wanted to tie it in to a story you could try the Little red hen, but she makes the bread into a pizza base. The children might have fun concocting a story around this.

The toppings could be brought from home and you could discuss which of the Little Red Hen's friends would choose the same topping.

I love cooking!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)