Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where To Start?!?!

Hi everyone

Im new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have just been given the job of nursery manager in a new private day nursery thats opening in a few weeks time!

Im really excited but also a bit overwhelmed at being responsible for implementing everything from scratch, any ideas, tips for me?

Also any ideas or tips for when I meet my lovely new staff team?

Thanks

Grafter

how exciting!! Good luck, and just be yourself when you meet your team - have you had or will you have any input into their recruitment? Don't expect to get everything done before you open, just be sure welfare requirement procedures are set out , explained and written down, then suss out the children and their needs as they arrive before you start making any major plans for how you want each day to run. Get the best of the basics out, sand, water, playdough, duplo and role play, and observe observe observe! And most of all enjoy :-)

All the best, keep us up to date with how you are getting on x

Thanks for the quick reply and the great tips Clare!

Yeh I will have input into recruitment, as we only have three members of staff on board just now, we are starting by opening our birth to three section and then moving on to bringing in the older children.

Im so excited and cant wait to get start, a bit apprehensive to tho haha.

congratulations, I would probably start by drawing up your aims/ethos, then implement the policies to support this.

Good luck

YOu will be fine....it doesnt seem like long ago I was in your position, if you are a passionate practitioner who enjoys what you do I am sure you will be able to build a positive relationship with your team.

It is daunting but like someone else has said take one day at a time, don't rush things and be attentive to them....they will all want to get to grips with you as much as you will with them.....all takes time and trust and don't forget

"The Forming – Storming – Norming – Performing is a model of group development, first proposed by Bruce Tuckman in 1965, who maintained that these phases are all necessary and inevitable in order for the team to grow, to face up to challenges, to tackle problems, to find solutions, to plan work, and to deliver results. This model has become the basis for subsequent models." -

it really does make sense that we all have a process to go through in order to create a team. Use the forum to help and support you through these processes, you will have good and bad days and this forum is invaluable for letting of steam and celebrating your achievements........keep us all posted....good luck.... :oxD:(:(:(

Thank you so much to all of you for your kind words, encouragement and advice, I cant wait to get started now! Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

just a wee update!

Well that me started my new post and im enjoying it, children and staff are settling in well and now im ready to get stuck into getting everyting ready and organised!

What would your top prioritities be? Im feeling a bit overwhelmed and dont know where to begin. x