Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Managing A Club Ive Never Worked In

westie

Hi, I think Im just looking some re-assurance/success stories!!

It was my first day today as manager of an out of school club and Im not feeling like ive had the best day!

I am starting to realise how difficult it is to come into and manage a club ive never worked at before hand, where everything is well estbalished and I am unfamiliar with the practices and procedures of this particular club but supposed to be leading it.

It is more complicated because its committee run and although the committee have been great, they dont really have the information to give me that I need!

Anybody been in a simialr situation and can offer any advice?

Thanks

Jo

How many staff are there? Would they like to implement any new activities or change anything now they have a new manager? In your position I'd watch for now noting anything that I thought could be altered etc and try to have a staff meeting soon.

The children might have some ideas of things they'd like to do too.

Guest jenpercy

ask the children to explain the ground rules to you. Ask the children what they usually do - what they would like to do etc.

I guess you need to get familiar quickly! But also remember that a) the staff are capable and don't need you to monitor every aspect of their role in close detail and :o you have leadership skills that will support you to lead the club while you find your feet.

I remember a quote from my time as a trainee teacher "until you can make it, fake it".

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)