Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calculating

Hi all,

just a quick one please! On the EYFSP calculating strand the scale points 3 and 7 state that the children should know one more OR one less than a number up to 5, then up to 10. Do you take this as the children only need to know one of these to achieve the scale point - do they only need to know how to find one more or one less! this is how i take it but another member of staff disagrees and believes that is should be both.

Thanks x xx

Guest jenpercy

tHink it should be both otherwise you could have 2 children both achieved but one can add and the other subtract. Confusion in what to do next

Interesting point! I have always wanted to know they can do both but as it states 'or' that must just mean 1 or the other surely or it would say 'and'. Will see what others say! The other thing about this point is it say 'finds' - does that mean children can find 1 more by doing it practically rather than just knowing it? x

Guest heleng

I read it as saying they need to be able to do both and the or refers to the fact you can't do both at the same time, if you see what I mean. You can find one less OR you can find one more but not both at the same time. Not sure I've explained that very well!!

And KST, in the handbook for point 3 it says 'in practical contexts' so I read that as they can use 'props' and for point 7 it says they use the language too so they need to show more of an understanding of the vocabulary.

I think discussing points is really interesting but it also shows how subjective they can be even with a handbook and examples.

I read it as saying they need to be able to do both and the or refers to the fact you can't do both at the same time, if you see what I mean. You can find one less OR you can find one more but not both at the same time. Not sure I've explained that very well!!

And KST, in the handbook for point 3 it says 'in practical contexts' so I read that as they can use 'props' and for point 7 it says they use the language too so they need to show more of an understanding of the vocabulary.

I think discussing points is really interesting but it also shows how subjective they can be even with a handbook and examples.

This is exactly what I was thinking too but I couldn't put it into words! I've always taken it as they need to do both, with the 'or' being as you described.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)