Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Salaries

What does everyone pay their staff? Key persons, deputies and supervisors etc. Am interested to hear from all settings. We are a term time only morning only pre-school (packaway). Does everyone pay their staff for setting up in the morning and tidying away. Are we allowed to say where we are based to reflect ? How can charity run pre-school manage to pay so much to their staff compared with private. I can barely pay more them minmum wage to my key persons and would love to be able to pay them in the £7 region or am i being ambitous.

How can charity run pre-school manage to pay so much to their staff compared with private. I can barely pay more them minmum wage to my key persons and would love to be able to pay them in the £7 region or am i being ambitous.

I'm not sure whether you're saying people automatically get paid more or less than in private settings. Qualified staff in my setting get paid more than £7 an hour but it isn't really enough when you consider the responsibilities that go with being a key person, Inclusion Co-ordinator etc.

Mind you, its still more than I'm earning as owner. :o

Maz

Guest jenpercy

Well as a charity you have possible advantages, when we stopped being a charity as we couldn't find the trustees, our rent almost doubled and we wre unable even to think of applying for some grants. Seriously, though, I believe hat we should look at what we want to pay staff and how we are going to get there, rather than start with having no money. And I say this who hasn't given my staff a pay rise in years!!!!!

ours have just had a rise, playleader gets £7.95, deputy £7., assistants £6.50. I wish it was more!

Jenpercy, have you looked at becoming a community interest company? You can still have charitable status and instead of a committee you have a director, who can be paid, but that would be up to them! Its something I'm considering. Our new accountants are a CIC, they give any surplus they make goes back into the community.

I can give you the low-down on 2 morning only packaway pre-schools:

One where I am on committee:

Leader (OTS + EYP)= £10 plus 4 hours work at home

Dep. ((NVQ3)= £8.50

Qualified assistant (£6.00-£6.50)

Unqualified assistant = £5.80

All are paid for half an hour set-up time each time and 1.5 hours a week staff meeting time.

Pre-school where I work:

Leader (OTS)= £10 plus 4 hours work at home

Dep.(NNEB)= £7.50 plus 3 hours out of hours

Assistant (QTS)= £7.00 plus staff meeting

Assistant (unqualified)= £6.00 plus staff meeting

We are all paid for an hour set-up take down time each day. We are paid to do work at home- an hour per day that we work.

Both settings are charities and charge £3.50 per hour.

Guest jenpercy
ours have just had a rise, playleader gets £7.95, deputy £7., assistants £6.50. I wish it was more!

Jenpercy, have you looked at becoming a community interest company? You can still have charitable status and instead of a committee you have a director, who can be paid, but that would be up to them! Its something I'm considering. Our new accountants are a CIC, they give any surplus they make goes back into the community.

What surplus!!!! It's all the paperwork that is stopping me - when I have done my NVQ and Qa I will def consider it

What surplus!!!! It's all the paperwork that is stopping me - when I have done my NVQ and Qa I will def consider it

I have been looking into this as well, and what we found was that you have to sell off all your equipment first and we would have to cancel our charity membership we have already... how does this work.... sorry but this sounded a great idea then i just got lost in how to do it.....and couldnt find anyone to speak too.......

Sorry this reply is for what is in the box above (rea 6th may).... dont know what i did wrong there....

Edited by Guest

Guest jenpercy
I have been looking into this as well, and what we found was that you have to sell off all your equipment first and we would have to cancel our charity membership we have already... how does this work.... sorry but this sounded a great idea then i just got lost in how to do it.....and couldnt find anyone to speak too.......

Sorry this reply is for what is in the box above (rea 6th may).... dont know what i did wrong there....

In theory you have to buy your equipment from yourself. However this applies to goig private from being a charity and I didn't. The advantages over being a charity are that you don't have to be a committee. As a charity, you should have all your paperwork in order to be able to run, so it may not be too difficult. Try speaking to your develpoment officer. Essex have a business support officer for childcare, so you may be able to get support there, or you could try business Link or something similar

http://www.startupbusinesslinkeast.co.uk/?...CFd1r4wodrRs8KQ

you have to have a cshflow forecast and I business plan. that much I do know and as a private owner, I have let that slpi. however, I now need all that for my support grant for special needs. Oh, and a lease form Essex county Council (my landlord) so that Essex County Council, (a different bit) will give me a grant