Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Bit Stuck For Ideas

Hi everyone,

next week is the first time i meet the new group of parents for next year.

At previous meetings the teacher has given the parents a little book which the current reception write and illustrate (a sentence each) about school - what they like doing etc.

Last year this carried on as i was just starting out. This year i want to do something new, but am just a little stuck. I can't print a load of stuff like photos bc of tight budget (and there will be a slide show of this years pics anyway), and it is nice that the current chn get to tell about what they do, but the books are just really boring. They have to be photocopied which means they can't be coloured in etc.

Any advice - really anything is welcome - i dont seem to have a brain today!

The only thing ive thought of so far is having sort if speech bubbles but thats as far as ive got!

Hopefully one of you fantastic creative lovelies can help!

Lucie, i do a fridge magnet with things to remember about school - PE day, naming clothes, what time school starts/finishes, school tel number, what to bring for snack, etc - is that any help?

Posy

PS Like the bubbles idea.

oooh yeah it is - not really what i was looking for for this but i might steal it anyway!

At present its more like a book full of sentences like 'In reception i like building with wooden blocks' and a picture.

Dull you see! The idea in itself is fine but the whole book is just so dull to read and look at!

x

When my daughter started Reception class (a long time ago now!) she was given a personalised, zipped folder at the induction afternoon. It contained:

* a badge of the class mascot with her name on, to wear on the first day (paper teddy bear, laminated)

* a picture of the mascot to colour in

* a letter to her from one of the current Reception class - a simple "I like school because" handwritten, with their own drawings

* a list of "what I need to bring to school"

* a list for parents - reminders about dinner money, naming uniform etc

* a calendar of important school dates for that term

We've still got ours!!

Nona

Edited by Guest

oo this is a usefule topic!

i am meeting my new parents from next week until summer for different things x what does everybody tell parents at these meeting? i normally do a phonics meeting seperate but dont know wether to incorporate it or will that be information over load do you think? x

I think a little basic phonics introduction would be useful - it would "prepare the ground"for later!!

The "welcome" pack my daughter had included leaflets on reading with your child etc - perhaps a Bookstart leaflet or EYFS for parents could be included (whatever the setting/CC has to spare :o )

Who knows, it might even prevent some of those "why isn't s/he reading yet? when will s/he have a reading book?" discussions, that I know you Reception teachers SO enjoy!! xD

Nona

Im going to do a phonics/reading/writing session at the beginning of the autumn term because I think that it will be too much info all on one day - and phonics is so important that I need them to have a clear head.

I only see the parents on this day (or as is so planned - but i think i want to do a coffee session for new and current reception parents towards the end of the year) so don't want to give them info overload!

Tricky balance between information overload and getting the parents in twice!!

The Induction afternoon got 100% attendance but the phonics meeting less than 50% - even with the incentive of tea, coffee and biscuits! I guess the working parents have to prioritise and attend the "what we need to know before they start" session. (Both were held from 1.30pm in the afternoon so involve at least half a day off work)

Just a thought.......... :o

Nona

We do a separate phonics evening in the autumn term as otherwise far to much information for the poor parents to take in! Our induction meeting in June is over an hour as it is- presentation from head, presentation from foundation stage staff, talk from governors, PTA and school caterer. There really isn't time to do phonics properly. We do have less parents come to the phonics evening, but I'd rather do it properly to a few!

Edited by Guest

Hi, just wanted to update and say that the evening was a success - although i came away thinking ''next year i'll do this and this and this!''

Parents said that they felt very well informed, and one of a sibling said that they got more information than last year.

Thanks everyone

x

one thing my paretns really like is the dvd you can get form the standards site all about fs, you can order them in all sorts of languages and 1 for each parent x

where did you get the fridge magnets posy? x

hey jennywreny, just had a look for the DVD you mention on standards site but couldn't find it - have you got a link? Sounds like a great idea! Really useful post as got to start planning my evening for parents.

I do the same as others, do phonics in autumn term. I actually invited the parents to observe me teach a phonics session to the children and then took the parents off to explain it further. x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)