Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do I Have A Case Or Am I Being Pathetic?

Knoksk

Okay so I have worked in this school for 12 months almost and I work with Reception and Nursery children. My contract was due to end in Aug 10. There was a maternity leave cover coming up and it came up internally to teach the Reception/yr1/yr2 class (which is a new thing as of next year). So I express my interested and they state that it is to cover a maternity for Reception/Yr1 and Yr2.

Meanwhile the lady who is pregnant is ill so someone comes in for five weeks to cover. She tells me this is her first time ever teaching year one / two children and she has never taught Reception all her training in with Year 3,4,5,6. She expresses her interest for reception/Yr1/Yr2 anyway.

I go to interview and They dont ask me about experience or skills they just start with a creative lesson and I talk about one with reception that I have done which can be adapted. I talk about the behaviour etc How i have taught 20 of those children for one year already and know where they are all at. As I am talking about my experience and what I know I look over to my head teacher and he is starring out of the window this went on for some time as i kept looking back at him.

Turns out I did not get it. Said I am brill at my job with reception and if it was a reception post i would win it hands down. I then think to myself well it is a recpetion class...But I let him continue, he then says im doing a great job and my answers were brill but i did not discuss how to do behaviour for year 2 children...And when I talked about behaviour I talked generically not just reception! He then went on to say that he wants someone he can move to KS2 because he might move maternity to there!

YET I was not told this before my interview or asked to talk about my experiences with different age ranges. I just find it weird how some one with only 5 weeks experience with year 1/2 and NO experience with reception could get a reception year1/2 class job.

Am I taking this out of propotion? Do I have a point? Should something be said or done about it?

Thanks for your help!

Knoksk

I didn't want to read and run. I am sure you are pretty upset with how that all went. It is really irritating when goal posts are moved with no thought for you. xD

I hope you can continue with the great work you are doing in Reception. I always think things happen for a reason, maybe the ideal job for you is just around the corner!! :o

It does seem unfair, yes. They should have given you a job description 'up front' which explained the role fully, didn't they do this? It's not right that they could 'move the goalpost' as you put it, mid-interview process.

I agree they seemed to have moved the goal post, mabe they hve something in mind for you x you never know what the future holds : )

They said it was for a reception, year 1 and year 2 post he only told me she has ks2 skills and maternity leave might be in KS2 when I did not get it.

No they dont have anything in mind there is nothing going.

Edited by Knoksk