Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where To Go From Here?!

Currently I am working as a teaching instructor in a KS1 class. I have been an instructor for 5 years, 4 of those years spent in FS/EYFS. Over those years I have resat my maths GCSE 4 times :o so that I can further my career by applying for a PGCE. So far I have a BTEC ND in nursery nursing, a BA(hons) in Fine Art, and 7 GCSES at A-C, including english and science.

The first year I applied for a GTP where I got to interview stage but I messed up the maths skills test (maths is forever my biggest demon xD ) so I didn't get in, they did ask to keep my details on record for another time but I kind of ignored this as I was so annoyed at being made to feel like a muppet at the interview (I left in tears as they were so rude about the school I was working at and were generally snooty) and I wasn't given the extra time for my skills tests due to my dyslexia and dyscalculia because they "hadn't made provision"

Fast forward a few years and I now have a 1 year old :( and I applied for QTS assessment only route once coming back to work, also I applied to do maths -again- I was so worried about the maths that I never considered being unsuccessful in my QTS application- which I was. I am still hearing about the maths but I am sure I have messed that up to as I was having a particulary bad day the day I took it :(

That brings me to now, I am unsure where to go, I was sooo focused on what I was going to do that there seemed like no other way. One thing I do know now is that I want to be back in early years as KS1 doesn't suit me although I have enjoyed the new challenge.

Sooo what to do? try and get back into early years and do maths in a few years and then EYPS, leave and have another baby or just hang on and do it all in a few years.

Some words of wisdom from people would be gratefully recieved!!

Can I ask which Maths GCSE you are sitting - is it the higher or foundation paper ( no intermediate now) ? I am also redoing my Maths at the moment to do my EYPS and am doing Foundation - can still get a C and I am finding it so much easier than the higher papers I have done before and failed dismally on. As to your next steps , maybe the Early Years and EYPS route is an alternative, although if you have set your heart on teaching it may not be quite what you want. You could always reapply for the QTS next year, it may be that with a young baby it may have been a wee bit too much to get done and another year may make it easier ? Good luck whatever you choose to do :o

Can I ask which Maths GCSE you are sitting - is it the higher or foundation paper ( no intermediate now) ? I am also redoing my Maths at the moment to do my EYPS and am doing Foundation - can still get a C and I am finding it so much easier than the higher papers I have done before and failed dismally on. As to your next steps , maybe the Early Years and EYPS route is an alternative, although if you have set your heart on teaching it may not be quite what you want. You could always reapply for the QTS next year, it may be that with a young baby it may have been a wee bit too much to get done and another year may make it easier ? Good luck whatever you choose to do xD

Hi, thank you for your reply :(

I have been doing the higher one as it has been the only one available to me. I did the foundation at school but at the timne you could only get a D as the top mark. Then I sat the intermediate twicebefore it was phased out and have done the higher twice :o I have done it with Equivalency Testing and higher was the only option. Have you done yours through Adult Education?

Yes I am at present doing mine at Fareham College and finding it makes much more sense than it every did before - maybe ringing round your local colleges and asking if they can put you in for Foundation would be an option ? You never know - you may even have passed your Maths this time and it not be an issue anyway :o

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry Jester, it's such a shame that you did not pass. Keep trying though, please don't give up. I have to take my maths GCSE equivalency next week and it's the higher paper, I don't think I'll pass. I'm determined to get a C at GCSE eventually though, even if I'm in my 90s when I do!

Have you tried 'Conquer Maths', I've always struggled with maths but the CD I purchased from them seems to help me to understand...I find it useful because I can see and hear the lessons, as well as being able to play them over and over again.

:o

Thanks Sienna, think I will take a few years out from it and give my mind a rest. I too am determined to get a C!

I haven't tried "Conquer Maths" but I will look out for it, thaks for the reccomendation and good luck with your exam next week. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)