Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Evening

Hi everybody,

I have just had my head come into to me and ask me if i'm prepared for parents evening (Late next week), and that it is really important. I know this but why the enphasis now? also that the previous teachers used to see the parents once a week or so. Does everybody else do this? Seems a bit over the top to me, i talk to my parents if i need to but that often about profiles etc?

Anyway what should i be talking about at this 'important' parent evening about the profile, i thought it was talking about where their child is and how they could help them move on. I'm worried i'm missing something...

Did he mention that you had to talk to them about the profile? We have several parent-teacher meeting during the school year. Surely we have one in October and one in March... as in between for the reports of December and June. If the parents or the teachers need to get together again in other moments for specific follow-ups, then that is also done. Because of the amount of children we have, in the official PT meetings we can only share with them for 15 minutes, so we have to touch the most important points. Otherwise, if there are other smaller/daily matters of concerns we just ask them to pop-in the classroom and have a 5 min. chat. The "Homework" Diary is also another means of daily communication. Maybe your Head-teacher just want the parents to be clear of what to expect at the end of the school year, specially if the child is having problems/difficulties towards her/his transition to Y1.

Best wishes!

I have just had my second set of parents evenings this academic term- the parents had opportunity to look at their children's work and i discussed how their child was getting on in general but i did not specifically address or refer to the profile. I see the parents daily and if there have been any 'issues' I have asked to see them after school- I am leaving reference to the profile until the summer parents evening as I feel unless there has been no progress by the child that it is not an issue....but then I am an NQT and I am as unsure as you are. I just feel that to run through the profile in a ten minute meet eliminates the time to say whether the children are happy at school etc and it also does not allow time for parents to ask questions.

As a Parent when I go to parents evenings I want to know

a) that my child is happy

xD that my child is achieving

c) whether I need to help with any targets

d) whether there are any problems

What exactly can you say in ten minutes? :o

Sounds about right to me!

However, dont know if this happens or not but as there is an emphasis on parents as partners with the profiles and if you are using the booklets a space for the parents to contribute, is this something that the moderator looks at? And I am pretty sure that we were asked to comment on this when I trained as a moderator last year!

I used to take this opportunity to discuss where the child was at this stage with regard to the profile and ask the parents to agree and sign that the things I had joted down were what we had talked about. For this reason we extended this spring term consultation evening to 15 minutes. By the end of the summer term and the parents meeting, moderation would be over, profile scores would be in and we were basically talking about the end of year report and next steps for year1.

I've just had mine tonight actually.... and as others have said, it's not particuarly to talk about their profile. To me it seems as though the parents just like to call in for a chat to make sure their child is still happy and enjoying their time in reception.

Sure I talk to them about their child's progress (maily in reading, writing, and P.S.E) - but nothing too in depth unless they specifically ask.

Though I guess it depends what your Head expects on you and how the schools projects the evening to the parents. Our Spring term parents consultations are billed on very much a volutary/optional basis, so I usually find only a bout half my parents opt to come anyway.

Good Luck :o

Its so interesting - my eldest is about to choose his options - a very important time for both him and me - we need to get it right as this could affect what he does in the future - what do we get - 5 minutes with each teacher - and how long do I spend communicating with my parents at nursery each and every day regarding their children. Somehow I think the balance is wrong? Once again we don't seem to be on a level playing field.

Nikki

You could spend a little time talking about the child's intertests and attitudes at home - have you seen the parent conferencing sheets in the back of the profile? (Links in with what Susan was saying about Partnership with Parents, which is a biggie now with Assessment for Learning) :o

Hi,

Thank you for all your replies. At my last parents meeting I spoke about settling in, what the children do at home and what the parents could do to move them forward. I'm hoping this is on the right track for this time, as most people have said i see my parents everyday and talk to them if i need to or just say what their child is doing this week.

My EY advisor is coming in tomorrow (she's also my moderator) so i'm going to talk to her about it once she's looked at my profiles etc. I think my Head was just talking to me about that and going to her if i ever need any help because my advisor is going to ask how much help i'm getting from the school (im an nqt) and before that little chat i don't think she's once mentioned the FS. Think she might be worried!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)