Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safeguarding Help!

I don't want to go into too much detail but I have witnessed a member of staff being very rough with children ie pulling them handling them wrong forcefully sitting them down.I have informed management but know one seems to be listening where do i stand thanks!!

you have a duty to do something about this ring your safeguarding authority and speak to them anonymously. They will be understanding and helpful ( they always have been with me!) do not worry but do follow it up you owe it to the child and the setting. :o Good luck

Do you have a whistleblowing policy - that will lay down what your next step will be if you feel management are not listening and the process that will be followed if a concern is raised . An alternative could be discussing it with the staff member face to face, as to why they feel they can handle the children in that way - although that can be awkward it may just make them think long and hard about what they are doing ?

Consider this statement - I have included it as part of our WB Policy and it makes me think every time I read it.

"Absolutely without fail - challenge poor practice or performance. If you ignore or collude with poor practice it makes it harder to sound the alarm when things go wrong"

With acknowledgement to Sounding the Alarm - Barnardos

Record everything, date and time. To keep things fresh in your mind. Don't let anyone ignore you as has been said get some support and advice. Good Luck.

I would definitely get some advice and also check out your whistleblowing policy (if you haven't been personally handed a copy then your setting is not following the correct procedure for this policy). I don't think I would confront the member of staff myself as this could make it awkward for you within the setting and cause huge problems. It's an issue for management to deal with and if they aren't doing anything about it then I think you need to inform someone else.

I don't want to go into too much detail but I have witnessed a member of staff being very rough with children ie pulling them handling them wrong forcefully sitting them down.I have informed management but know one seems to be listening where do i stand thanks!!

This definately needs to be reported, as my settings child protection coordinator I would fully expect something like this to be brought to my attention, have you spoken to your child protection coordinator. Also when you witness the member of staff doing these things, you have a duty to explain to her that you feel she is handling the children inappropriately, she must be challenged when the instances occur and then follow them up by reporting it to your child protection coordinator, if all this falls of deaf ears, then you have an absolute duty to go over your setting's head and inform safeguarding children's board.