Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

High Scope And Elgs/stepping Stones

This sort of links with the previous discussion about planning without topics/themes. It also has some overlap with the discussion about schemas. In High/Scope there's a greater emphasis on short term planning, with the lead coming from children's own interests most of the time. Just occasionally I get a bit nervous about covering all the Goals & Stepping Stones. You can identify a particular curriculum approach when OFSTED are due, & can request an inspector who knows something about it. High/Scope has its own assessment system, if that's the right terminology, called Key Experiences. Does anyone have experience of working with High/Scope, because I've seen little about it in the Forum so far? If there are other High/Scope enthusiasts out there, I'd love to hear from you! And I hope I'm making sense because it's getting very late!

I have been quite interested in it as my sister in law teaches in wales and they have gone a big way into this approach as an authority. I looked at some of her manuals and thought the principles were pretty sound and there were some good ideas. I keep checking the website out from time to time.

Hi Weightman, this is something that I am very interested in and from the little I know I am convinced it is a good approach to take in FS. But I have been able to find out very little about it. I know that you can be specifically trained to work like this and would love to be able to find out more to be able to experiment. Any pointers?

Michaelle, you mention a website?

Thanks for that Geraldine. :D I think it sounds rather a lot like the way we run except for the short term planning. Only last week I was trying to point out to staff that this child was interested in this, and that child was interested in that and we could adapt the following weeks plans to suit. Unfortunatly, I honestly dont think they got it! The plans are written and therefore gospel, although in their defence, they are less experienced than I am and still finding their own way. Time was I would of changed the planning to suit , but it's all in their hands now and I really dont want to interfere with their attempts.

It's a shame that the short courses are in London, it would be interesting to see the system a bit closer. For any you in Portsmouth, Hampshire or kent there appears to be a number of settings using the approach, it might be nice to visit. :D

What little I do know about High Scope has come from a small, private day nursery locally (in a market town in N.Herts). It is part of a small chain. Both of my young nephews attended (one left only 3 months ago).

I found all the staff (including the manager) to be very knowledgeable and informative. I was particularly impressed by their approach to 3-4 yr-olds (i.e. early FS), and they were more than happy to show me any of their (non-confidential!) documentation.

Maybe if there is a similar setting in your locality, you could visit.

Diane.

Lots of interesting publications on the highscope site!

Just been looking at one called 'You can't come to my birthday party' described as:

A comprehensive publication. Includes guidelines for preventing conflict and creating emotionally healthy educational environments. Describes how adults can help children find alternatives to hurtful words and fighting by settling differences through a practical six step mediation process. Contains dramatic photo sequences of children and adults resolving conflict. Author Betsy Evans is a teacher, teacher trainer, and educational consultant with 30 years experience working with children.

its uncanny but just before I came onto this site I have spent an hour looking for info on Highscope and then I come here and Im not the only one.I typed in google search" examples of highscope planning "and got a few sites to loook at .One of them is http://www.encompasschildcare.org/encompas.../high+scope.asp

but I dont know how to put in a link .I like the sound of it but it is a big undertaking to change setting completely to highscope.About --well quite a few years ago [cant remember exactly I visited a school in Newcastle who were completely highscope with planning boards and review groups etc.I was very impressed but I remember thinking that to do it completely and well I would have to be trained .Unfotunateley I didnt go for it .But defintely worth thinking about :)

Just as a slight aside - as long as you have the http:// bit at the front it will automatically come up as a link. The easiest way is to copy and paste the web address straight into your post. :)

If anyone's using High/Scope [we do] you might this link too:

http://perpetualpreschool.com/highscope/highscope.html

Hope that works - it doesn't look right on the screen at the minute but I copied & pasted so should be ok.

If anyone's interested, I'd definitely recommend the training. Very non-threatening & fun! And I think there's a level 3 qualification in High/Scope practice now.

We are a High/Scope accredited early years setting and we are developing the smae principles in Y1 and Y2.

Yes it is important that all keyworkers in the setting are trained as it is very easy to pick up a few ideas and then misinterpret these. Some schools in our area have had poor ofsted reports because they said they yhad a High/Scope approach when really what they did was plan/do/review without really thinking about the role of the adult.

http://www.high-scope.org.uk/

takes you to the UK website and has lots of useful info. If you ring High/Scope they can organise training in your area. The High/Scope Implementation Course is 9 months long with a 5 hour session once a month. EAch session is varied and you have a task to do between sessions. All staff in our school have attended this course.

When you read the EPPE findings and the KEEP findings you can see that following High/SCope principles fit well with good practice.

I would really recommend visiting and accredited site and spending at least half a day then you will see all the routines and I am sure some conflict resolutions!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)