Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Salary Scale

Hi all,

We've just managed to find a great new employee who was more highly qualified than we had anticipated. This meant I had to pluck a figure out of the air as to what we could offer her.

To avoid this happening in future I would like to create a salary scale for our setting, the only trouble is, how do I do it? This is complicated by the fact that we will now have someone more qualified than the leader or deputy in a plain assistant post.

Presumably it's a good idea to include:

- Years with setting

- Years of experience

- Responsibility points

- Level of qualifications

I'd also like to include some kind of bonus for those who go beyond the call of duty but how do I do this without it being divisive?

Would really welcome some input before I get booted off the forum (my LEA is not carrying on its subscription SOB).

in our setting if someone was more qualified than the leader it did not necessarily mean the pay reflected this..

It was the job offered which was paid for... if that makes sense.. they applied for an assistants post so this was what the pay was for.. the fact that they applied for a post for which they were over qualified was their choice..

we did however have as you said extra for things like qualifications, and extra responsibility.. ours did stop at level 3 so if they were higher they still got the level 3 pay...

think ours were qualification, added responsibility, so leader and deputy had enhancement for this, they usually also took on senco and child protection , other staff did the health and safety and other roles.. tended to be all level 3 had an additional role of some sort..

for us length of sevice was not included as an extra but we had all been there so long that we didn't expect it.. perhaps we should have..

as to above and beyond the call.. our committee used to be given a log of the extra hours anyone put in unpaid each month or something to be noted... they wanted to pay but could not really afford it, and they used this to calculate a bonus for the August month - the amount depended on what they could afford as it was end of our financial year so they knew by then if we had any extra cash in bank form the year or if we had a deficit.. all staff were aware that it was not guaranteed, but they did appreciate anything extra in the holidays when children are at home and it all becomes so expensive!

Inge

sorry also meant to say just because your LEA is no longer participating, if you find this a useful resource my pre-school used to fund annual subs worth considering..saved us loads in the long run..

Inge

Wow, how fantastic you've found someone exceeding your requirements!

We don't do service either, ours is by qualification however we started an unqualified in September who has since gained level 2 and she does so much more than all the other level 3's & 4's but doesn't get paid as much, don't think you can ever win.

As someone once said to me ' a qualification doesn't always make the best practitioner' which is so true in our case.

It will be interesting to read how others sort it out.

sorry also meant to say just because your LEA is no longer participating, if you find this a useful resource my pre-school used to fund annual subs worth considering..saved us loads in the long run..

Inge

Good thinking, I will propose that they pay my subs at the next meeting.

I would be lost without this forum, the current post is just one example of many where I've had fantastic advice.

I'm a bit upset at my LEA, since I wrote them an email praising this forum and saying it was invaluable. Mind you they did just give us £2.5k from capital funding so can't complain :o

hi,

we pay by post and our salaries are based on the Local authority pay scales. which can be a nightmare when it comes to getting your annual pay rise, but means that its all handled fairly. Maybe you could work alongside these, and add rates for responsibilities? some settings pay extra for SENCO etc..

Ali

Wow, how fantastic you've found someone exceeding your requirements!

Yes, I won't quite believe we've got her until she actually starts work with us!! I think we just fitted in with what she was after.

Mind you it is effectively our third round of interviews, I'm really glad we held out for the right person.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)