Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents!

I have a colleague who has a severe nut allergy. We have notices up asking that nuts or anything containing nuts must not be brought into the setting and the reason why.

This morning a child went into his home room, where the staff member with the allergy was, dad says "oh he's just finsihing of a peanut butter sandwich ok", only to be told that no it wasnt, told child to "hurry up and eat it". Poor colleague had to take an anti histamine, which didnt work, had to take another one, which also didnt work. She then had to use her epi-pen and then was whisked off to A&E!! Dad had left by this time and it wasn't even 7.30am!!!

Upshot of the incident was colleague off work for rest of day and tomorrow and possibly Wednesday, another member of staff moved into room to cover and agency booked for tomorrow. All because a parent took no heed of any of the notices around the nursery!!!!

Thankfully colleague is recovering though woozy. I left before dad collected, but I will speak to him tomorrow; nicely of course!!!

I would invoice him for the costs incurred. Seriously. And if he complains, tell him he was lucky that he isn't paying for her funeral. Or perhaps you could ban him for a week.

IF it was his child with the nut allergy, and the member of staff with the sandwich, how would he react then?

How awful! I would make it clear that I expect an apology to the member of staff involved. Lolo is quite right, point out to him how he'd feel if the situation were reversed and it was his child who had become ill!

i agree. If it was his child at risk he'd expect you to jump through hoops! We have a theory in my setting that unless some parents are told stuff face to face 1to1 they take little notice. Yes invoice him 4supply. Irresponsible man. We have a little boy with nut allergy and we are so careful. He needs to be made aware of how serious this is. Sorry i'm rambling! Julie

IF it was his child with the nut allergy, and the member of staff with the sandwich, how would he react then?

Absolutely!!

At a CC I use a member of staff is severely allergic to kiwi fruit. Someone brought kiwi into the centre for the children and she was ill from just being in a room with them. :o

Consequences :-

* days of wheezing, skin rash and doses of anti-histamine

* re-shuffle of staffing to keep her out of the centre on home visits or outreach centres as much as possible

* emptying and throwing away of fridge contents that had been in contact with kiwi and were therefore contaminated

* mass spring clean of room, washing of all toys and equipment that children had used after handling kiwi

I'm sure you get the picture! :(

Janny, I hope your colleague is feeling better very soon (I know my daughter feels very rough for a few days after an allergic reaction) and that the parent who single-handedly hospitalised her feels thoroughly ashamed of himself and offers a sincere and heartfelt apology xD

Nona

What a dreadful situation - I do hope your staff member recovers soon.

I definitely think you should speak to Dad tomorrow about what happened, and I think I'd also write about it in the newsletter too so that everyone understands the implications of bringing nut products into the setting. Always supposing your staff member doesn't mind her 'episode' being highlighted in this way. Don't mean to sound dismissive using that word - couldn't think what other word to use.

However I think that people's suggestion of charging him for supply cover might not work, unless there was a previous agreement or an acceptance that this would happen in the event of a parent causing this reaction by their thoughtlessness.

Incidentally I think this is evidence (even though anecdotal) of the general impression that still exists that allergies are a bit of a nonsense really. It is something we take into account every day because of our jobs, or because we personally suffer from an allergy that can make us seriously ill. However sometimes I think in the wider public it can be perceived as being a fuss about nothing.

Sounds like several posters have a bit of an upward struggle in many of your settings in getting the message across that allergies are very real, and that the consequences can be very serious for the individuals concerned.

Maz

Thank you all for your replies. Just to update you my colleague is much better, is still off today but will be back tomorrow.

I spoke with dad this morning, in fact he instigated the conversation. He was very sheepish and apologetic and asked how my colleague was. He was horrified to learn that she was still off today and possibly again tomorrow. He says he had no idea she was so allergic and would react, even though he had read the signs, he thought it would be ok, reiterating what Maz says about people taking allergies seriously! I also explained to him the impact that his actions have had on the rest of the nursery, you could see he was in shock and embarressed!

He apologised profusely and says he will bring some flowers in tomorrow for her, he did then say "she's not allergic to flowers is she?"!!!

I pointed out to him that peanut butter will now haunt him for the rest of his life, which he agreed with!!!

All he had to do was read the sign and treat the information with all seriousness and it could have been avoided!

Sorry your collegaue is still unwell.

I am glad the father realized the seriousness of his actions and is suitably shocked and embarrassed.

When I suggested invoicing him, I wasn't expecting him to pay, but it does highlight what a big problem his actions caused.

Hi Everyone,

Firstly janny1960 I'm really pleased that your collegue is on the mend xD

Although (please don't all hate me :o ) in the parents defense he genuinally might not have none about the allergy. I think you need to take into consideration that he may be very busy when he drops his child off at nursery, he may, as somebody else pointed out, be unaware of the seriousness of the allergy, he may even be unable to read.

Maybe what you sould do if the allergy is that serious is inform all of the parents personally and maybe even ask them to sign something acknowledging that they have been informed.

It's a difficult one because I remember getting highly frustrated with parents who would ignore posters that would be blatently be plastered all around the nursery but I'm just trying to look at things from both sides, and when it comes to the well-being of the staff or children then you really can't afford to take any chances.

Hope I've not got this completley wrong

Rapunzel

Thank you for your comments; yes the dad is suitably shocked and embarrassed.

Rapunzel I understand about seeing both sides of the story, however dad did know about the allergy as when he walked into the room with his child he asked was peanut butter ok, he also said today that he didn't realise the seriousness of the allergy.

I do know my parents and dad is in no rush when he drops off or collects; just totally focussed on his child, which is a good thing I know! And he is able to read, I know this as the nursery is in a hospital with most parents/carers being doctors or nurses, he however isnt, but is not academically challenged!

With over 130 parents on register it would be a mammoth taks to speak to them all individually, hence the posters, it has also been in numerous newsletters; as the saying goes; you can take a horse to water etc etc

I think it was a case of, as others have said, he didnt realise the severity of the allergy - he does now though!!!

I think like so many things if it doesn't directly concern their child then it doesn't sink in. I also think the poster who said about not taking seriously allergies is right. We have 2 children with nut allergies, both with epi pens yet still even they come in with unmarked lunch boxes. It drives me mad. One of the other problems with allergies is so many parents now 'self diagnosis' We have had so many children in where parents say he/she is allergic to this fruit/milk/tomatoes etc., etc. but have had no Dr confirm it. the problem then is becuase their reaction is so mild they assume that everyone else is