Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

`language And Literacy Dispalys And Activities

hi every one i seem to have lost my mind when it comes to langage and literacy displays and activities. At present we have a work shop approch to the graphics area, with name cards in each area of the nursery the children write or do drawings. we have lots of number lines up and numbers shapes ect everywhere within the nursery but we dont have letters around dont know if anyone out there has any ideas.

I'm not in nursery, but I would have thought you would have an alphabet displayed somewhere, and maybe a sounds table that changes each week with the letter displayed and objects starting with that sound (the children can bring things in from home) - I'm sure some of the older nursery children would benefit. How about some interactive alphabet books (lift the flap)? Alphabet lotto or snap cards? Sponge letters in the water tray to sort (match) and play with. Magnetic letters...

Just a few ideas - I'm sure someone else will have loads more!

hi,

we have alphabet freizes displayed in our nusery and we also have an on going display where the board is divided into 26 (one space for each letter) and each week we focus on a particular letter and when the children have done crafts relating to that letter we put some of them up in the right 'space' it soon fills up as the weeks progress. we also have a letter of the week table with objects beginning with that letter. also at the beginning of the year we cut out capital letters for the inital letter of each of the childrens names and they decorated them and we have those displayed with a label saying G is for George etc, they love spotting 'their' letter!

A lot of settings have number lines but I use alphabet, colour and shape lines as well. I make them out of the little bags that come with washing tablets. I stitch some fabric onto the bag to label them and hang them on hooks. Above the hooks I put what they are eg. an 'a' or '1' etc. Inside the bag I put related items, in the 'a' bag I may find a small toy apple, a laminated card with a capital 'A' and lower case 'a' a wooden 'a' and anything else I can find. Children love small bags and can tip them out and explore the contents on their own or adults can make it into a game, 'can you find me the 'a' bag?' As the 'a' is written above where the bag should go it is quite easy for the children to put them back. To start with it gets in a bit of a muddle if you have mixed ages but the novelty soon wears off!

It is surprising how many times they come in useful and it is a great excuse to hunt around charity shops for little bits!

Teri

I'd really recommend the Scholastic books on Displays; we have the Stories and Rhymes, Maths Displays, Science, All About Me and Seasonal displays,and they're great for sparking off ideas for displays. I know they do a language one, too, although I haven't seen that one.

• 6 months later...

Was interesting reading this, some good ideas. I really should buy a book for inspiration but in the meanwhile does any one have any links to websites that may showdisplays for litersy? I have a long board to fill which already has alphabet pockets on (where children put their names each morning) but I'd like to put something above and to the left of this which is semi-permanet-not too time consuming! Maybe something where some of it stays same all year but just children's work is changed every half term (we've got that many boards I can't have them all changing in line with topic or book!)

Thanks

Zim :)

I have large laminated letters of the alphabet, A4 size, lower and upper case. Last term the children were learning initial sounds and we looked at initials of first name.

Each child made their own "Bling" initial letter necklace, (very Ali Gee)

each child mixed 3 tablespoons of flour, 3 tablespoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of water into a small bowl, mix to make dough. They rolled the dough and then lay it onto the laminated letter card into the shape of their initial. Don't forget to make a hole at top of letter for thread. Leave overnight to harden. Paint yellow and sprinkle with gold glitter. When dry thread a small pipe cleaner through hole to make the "link" to thread wool through for the necklace. The children thought they were "really cool" as did the parents. :D

Peggy

after reading your repleys and lots of planning we got all the children to bring in pictures of themselves at home them put there pictures by the first letter of there name. we then copied these pictres and made a mataching alphabet lotto

thank you all for your help

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)