Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With Lesson

My new ( and rather scary) headteacher is coming to observe me soon and I wondered if any of you wonderful people out there could help me come up with some ideas for a "lesson" with my reception class. We actually run an integrated day with some groups doing child-initaited activites and some groups doing adult-directed activites at any one time, but she wants a lesson and a lesson plan so there we go!

At the moment our topic is 'people who help us' and so far we have looked at cooks, cleaners, police officers, postmen and firemen. What I would like would be a fiction text to base activities around and it would be good if it could include one of these people or someone else who helps us. Any bright ideas gratefully received!

Thankyou

There are a series of ladybird book that are about people who help us such as Vet Tina.... and includes firemaen, police, doctors etc I believe.... One of my class brought one in yesterday for show and tell.

Hope that helps and good luck with the lesson

L

Could you do something around Shirley Hughes' book: Alfie Gets in First?

It's a great story and includes a milkman and a window cleaner!

Hi Swordfish,

First good luck! An observation where you are not comfortable with the observor is always scary.

Secondly, dont alter the structure of what you do, the children wont cope and that wont go down well either! Think of your lesson as your teacher focus time and the supporting activities but if shildren have CI time then keep this in too. If your head does not understand FS then this is an opportunity for you to show them how it works and the learning that takes place.

Be very comfortable with what you are doing and you will be able to justify yourself too, should the need arise.

Good luck again!

I have a lovely book called 'In the Middle of the Night'. It goes through all the people who are working throughout the night whilst we are sleeping such as dustmen, postal workers, nurses, cleaners and a mother with a baby. However I'm not sure that it is still in print as I got mine secondhand through Amazon. You can find it here. :)

Thanks for all your help.

I am going onto amazon right now!

I think you are right Susan - there is no point trying to make all the children do something adult-led at once when that is not what they are used to. I just need to make sure I get all my FS quotes together to defend myself!

Thanks again :):)

Dear Swordfish,

You are not on trial and should not have to defend yourself! Try not to stress.

Having said that I have been where you are. As an NQT 2 years ago I had to teach the full literacty and numeracy hour to a very demanding class until an advisory teacher said it was impossible and said I would kill myself!

Confidence is a very fragile thing. Remember you have the FS Curriculum to hand - a statutory Government document which will back you up.

Having had an OFSTED recently (which actually built my confidence as they said my lessons were good) I now have an RE OFSTED (we're a Church school). Suprisingly I'm nervous again. Probably because I'm attempting more than I normally do. Also because there's been an unusual amount of RE work undertaken since Sept in preparation. Observations and inspections affect us all but the best advice is to be yourself and think of what the children will enjoy.They are your real judges/audience. If you captivate them you've cracked it. Best of luck.

P.S. Try and plan/talk it over with you TA if you have one. Your Head will love it if you work as a team.

Hi, how about taking some quick piccis of all who help in school - caretaker, cleaners, head, other teachers, dinner ladies etc etc - dscuss those that help in the class, out of class and both then produce a display showing the same. It worked well for me - good luck.

Chris

Hi Fountain and welcome! :D

Its very sad when we find ourselves in situations, such as these when we feel as if we are on trial and need to defend ourselves. It is of course especially difficult when the person who is judging you is in a senior position.

Good luck with your RE Ofsted, never heard of one of those! Obviously RE is the focus, who is it Ofsted that inspect this or is that just terminology?

If you take Chris' idea and take photos of people who help in school, you could also take photos of the different rooms - secretary's and headteacher's offices, caretakers room, cleaners cupboard (!), different teachers classrooms (need to keep that to KS1/Reception classes probably unless they get to go to KS2), kitchen etc. Then you have another activity - match the person to their room. You might also get the children to think up some clues to give to another group to describe a person, giving more and easier clues as they progress, talk about what the person looks like and some of the jobs they might do.

Good luck Harricroft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)