Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning And The Dpp

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you could help me.

I am a Pre-school leader and currently do the planning for my setting, I plan predominantly around childrens interests.

One of my staff is coming to the end of her DPP (level 3), now she has been learning about planning and has been doing a Long term plan - for two years? Medium term planning to include topics for every month????

Has anyone else any experience of this? Understandably she is questioning how come I don't have these sorts of plans in place. However I like to plan around childrens interests and would not feel happy with having fixed topics.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Hi

I did the DPP last year and also came across this. As the EYFS is so new ,practitioners all plan differently, some retrospectively, i suppose it is now hard really to do planning as part of the qualification but they have to cover it. I found it difficult doing this part of the exam last year because it went against all what we were actually doing in the setting (we do much like yourself!).

I eventually just went along with all my tutor wanted me to do. She sent me examples and i based it on that. I tried to ensure i used EYFS termminology ie CD, PSE and also planned for free choice in the odd section. I actually also put a comment at bottom that all the above may change in response to children!

I would tell your staff member that what you are doing is correct according to EYFS.

Very frustrating and annoying is this.

PS if you look at the training section on here there are a lot of us who are doing/have done DPP and had a problem with this very issue!

Edited by marley

Guest jenpercy

I guess you have to thnk that children's interests tend to centre around what they know. What are you going to provide that will spark their interests and expand their KUW.

I tutor the DPP and teach long term planning as how your continuous provision reflects the principles of the EYFS plus any festivals and regular events, eg a family picnic in the summer term, that you offer. I teach medium term planning as a two to four week provisional plan of adult led activities and additions to basic provision which students must show as based on observations of the interests of a group of children. Short term plans I teach as what needs to be brought in/ put out each day and a note of what actually happened and any adjustments that need to be made to the provional medium term plan. I suspect that your member of staff has a tutor who has never actually worked to the EYFS and is still basing her teaching on an older style of planning.

if you are mentoring this student her tutor should have been in touch with you and you could discuss this problem with the tutor. If the tutor has not been in touch e-mail her and put your point forward. Your student will have the contact details. If we as leaders do not tell the colleges there is a problem, how are they going to know!.......ok rant over ......got that off my chest......back to sleep now......... :o

Edited by finleysmaid

I only had to do medium term planning for my unit 2 assignment for my DPP (which i am still finishing off ooops)

but I founf the planning of my setting didn't fit in with the planning i needed for my DPP and i had to "tweak" (basically transfer the exsisting planning onto a new template for 3 weeks of activities), until I did this i was finding the assignment almost impossible as i couldnt use any of my own planning and had a number of conversations with my boss on this. The problem I found was with the DPP and that it was still looking a PILES for half the assignemnt rather than the areas of EYFS.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)