Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Value Of Creating Child Initiated Learning

The title says it all really...what are your thoughts??

I have my own views, case studies, etc., and have a presentation on the topic next week.

Be really interested in a variety of opinions.

Thank you G

i always thought we were child initiated until i challenged myself when the eyfs came in and changed the way we thought about the setting. I supose the most difficult thing was creating plans for it as i couldn't work out how to differentiate these without them being too complicated (we have 2-5 yr olds, in one room, in mixed groups, some do 21/2 hours some do 12 and a half- oh yes and we're sessional care, two sessions a day 5 days a week) oh and we have lots of EAL children and children with sen.

but that is exactly why we should change the children are all so different and have different needs and abilities its no good saying on monday we're going to learn SATIPN ! when some children have no speech or english. There are still tweeks to do and the children do have rules to follow in order for the setting to operate effectively but i can honestly say the children leaving us this year are probably further advanced in some areas than i would have planned for! :( it can be a challenge to teach too as sometimes they ask me things i haven't researched so off we go to the internet to find out!!!! xD - oh and i have had to get over the fear of repetition and be inventive when putting out trains for the fifth time that week! :o:(

The value is evident ..... it is difficult to 'create' child initiated learning as the children create it themselves...I am constantly trying to differntiate in a mixed age room too...by offering activities of interest to the children, observing individual development and meeting EYFS criteria...it is a challenge although it shouldnt be...the children should dictate and initiate and we should be able to observe and intervene when needed but the pressure of being involved and moving a child to their next step of learning is emphasised so much in our curriculum that the focus comes away from child initiation...in my weekly plans I colour code the child initiated stuff and the focus activity along with the adult directed planned stuff....I use black type colour for the child initiation and I always look back at the plan when i have finished and check that most of it is BLACK...CHILD initiated...

the value of child initiated play is huge, massive and integral to child development...in my opinion. :o

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)