Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Babies And Toddlers Together?

Is this possible? We really don't have enough toddlers and babies to warrant seperate rooms at the minute, and I just wondered how this could work if we combine them.

We would use the toddler room as the base room as it is bigger, would the lower ratio 1:3 be the one we adhered to?

I'm currently temping in a setting where they have introduced 'family grouping', to their 'free flow', so all ages - 10mths to 4years are together, currently there are only two under one, and it seems to be managable although when outside, one to one is often necessary when bikes are wizzing around. The ratio of 1:3 for the under threes still applies.

Thanks for your reply, we just lost a sibling set (1 baby and 1 toddler) bringing our numbers even further down, it's just not feasible to pay a member of staff to look after one baby at the minute!

Guest jane707

As a childminders I do it all the time!

You just need to be sure your individual planning differentiates between younger and older ages, stages, abilities etc.

:o

• 2 weeks later...
Is this possible? We really don't have enough toddlers and babies to warrant seperate rooms at the minute, and I just wondered how this could work if we combine them.

We would use the toddler room as the base room as it is bigger, would the lower ratio 1:3 be the one we adhered to?

in my daycare room we intergrate 0-2 year old and it works very well. we try to work like a home environment as you would not split siblings at home. children learn so much from their peers therefore i feel it is essential to keep age groups together.

Hi Everyone

Have been reading with interest. I am looking to expand my pre-school setting from sessional care 2-4yrs to full daycare 0-4yrs. I would really like to have family groups and would welcome as much advise and experince on this as anyone is willing to share. We will also be moving to a new venue, purpose built. Exciting but daunting!

Sally

Hi, I don't know how to link to another thread but this was discussed back in March the thread title was "Family Grouping, Birth-5 groups in Day Nursery" and was also in Nursery Management Issues.

We had lots of discussions around family grouping and children learning from children of other ages, might be worth looking at that one as well as getting ideas here. Big step but mixing ages was one of the best things we ever did.

BMG

Edited by BMG

• 2 weeks later...

hi

we have our baby and toddler areas together in one room, as like you we only have small groups we have just used dividers, it works well as staff are still together. it would depend on how big your rooms are.

marie