Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

kristina

Hi to all you lovely people who have or are completeing your Foundation Degree!

What are your experiences with regards completing through Open University or attending college, and if anyone is from Essex which college did you attend!

It is something I am looking into, just need to sort out the funding as i am being told because we are sessional (didn't think sessional still existed!) I may not be entitled to funding for it, apparently when it comes to funding courses through Essex sessional is still around!!

Kris

Hi Kristina

I did my FD at college and although i found it quite difficult in the first 3-4 months it got easier after that and I really enjoyed doing it. It certainly gave me more confidence ,new skills and knowledge.For me, I needed the college set up especially in the first year because I needed the support I got from the other girls on the course and could see the tutor every week.

I am sure you will enjoy it -good luck.

PS-I am also going to top up in Sept (BA!)so it cant have been that bad!! Unsworth

hi I did my foundation degree (and went on to Hons degree) with the OU and can highly recommend this type of study.

In terms of time I wanted to be in control of my learning and could not give a guaranteed committment that I would be able to attend college on a certain day each week for a given amount of time. Flexibility of study with the OU was just brilliant for me and my family. They provide a study calendar and some stick to it rigidly but there were times where I did no study due to 'life getting in the way' and then I played catch up and it worked for me.

I attended tutorials (roughly one every couple of months is about average for OU courses) and these were held on a saturday which were ideal for me.

It is really a case of whether distance learning is right for you or whether you need the more formal style of bricks and mortar . The OU online forums are invaluable and I have met many people over the years of my study and some remain valued friends long after the courses have finished

good luck with your decision making.

Hi Kris,

I am applying to do my FD in September and I have decided to do it at Uni, part time for three years (!). I have recently studied for the DPP level 3 through the NEC via distance learning and found it difficult due to not having classmates to discuss things with, and lack of support from tutors. That said I have heard very good things about the OU and it is certainly a more flexible way of learning. I think it depends on what style of learning you are more comfortable with. Also you need to have good self discipline and time management to do distance learning.

it probably depends if you can commit to college each week and how long you want to do it. I started with ou last July will get EYPS july 2013 must be mad. i enjoy the flexibility have others i can talk to online and someone who is local who i discovered on the course. I like tutorials although they are on a saturday. you get tutor support. i do have a friday morn off to do studies. the biggest plus is the flexibility with ou if you do one course and want a break you can.

good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)