Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Often Do You Do Guided Writing And Reading In Reception

Guest Cathryn1974

Guest Cathryn1974

Hi

Where I work in Reception we are only just starting to do regular guided writing and now all groups are doing guided reading once a week. How do you work it throughout the year.

I don't want it all to be too adult led.....

Thanks

Cathryn :o

I don't think you are in danger of doing too much adult led, if anything I'd say perhaps you've gone the other way unless your children are particularly low ability. Most reception classes I've seen do guided reading with all children once a week at least almost from the very beginning. The reception class in the school I work in started guided writing after Christmas when the teacher felt they were ready, however this could have been earlier if there had been children ready for it earlier.

Hi

Where I work in Reception we are only just starting to do regular guided writing and now all groups are doing guided reading once a week. How do you work it throughout the year.

I don't want it all to be too adult led.....

Thanks

Cathryn :o

Surely Guided reading and writing are exactly that, guided, and therefore adult led.

Unless I have misunderstood your question?

My adult led are my guided sessions! I have done a guided CLL session from the beginning which is usually guided writing but can involve role-play, or sequencing pictures of a story etc or writing in role.

I do guided reading once a week for all my children but only did this once they were ready, and 10 of my children were only ready 2 weeks before easter, others came in ready! For the children who weren't ready we did shared reading in groups or phonics games. I do think there is a danger of doing too much adult led - children need time to practise the skills you teach in adult led in their play/CI learning.

Guest Cathryn1974
Surely Guided reading and writing are exactly that, guided, and therefore adult led.

Unless I have misunderstood your question?

I don't want to do too much adult led guided sessions - I was just asking if every child partcipating in these every week was too much.

Thanks

Guest Cathryn1974
My adult led are my guided sessions! I have done a guided CLL session from the beginning which is usually guided writing but can involve role-play, or sequencing pictures of a story etc or writing in role.

I do guided reading once a week for all my children but only did this once they were ready, and 10 of my children were only ready 2 weeks before easter, others came in ready! For the children who weren't ready we did shared reading in groups or phonics games. I do think there is a danger of doing too much adult led - children need time to practise the skills you teach in adult led in their play/CI learning.

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought.

XXXXXX

Guest Cathryn1974
I don't think you are in danger of doing too much adult led, if anything I'd say perhaps you've gone the other way unless your children are particularly low ability. Most reception classes I've seen do guided reading with all children once a week at least almost from the very beginning. The reception class in the school I work in started guided writing after Christmas when the teacher felt they were ready, however this could have been earlier if there had been children ready for it earlier.

Thanks for that. Nearly all the chn are EAL and there is also a large number of SEN. That is why we have focused on lots of speaking and listening and CI.

X

We do guided writing once a week and it is very differentiated - from writing a few letters to forming sentences. We concentrated on talking for writing to start with. Guided reading is done once a week as well, again ranging from using books with no text, to red level and beyond.

I am in reception and I do one shared writing and one shared reading session per week. That is usually with the whole class. Then I do 1 guided writing/reading session per week in ability phonics groups. I also do independent writing supported by an adult to scaffold but this only happens about once every 3 weeks as it is so time consuming.

Hope this helps.

Reading back what I wrote in my post I have realised that when I said they should have a guided writing and reading session every week I was thinking of the two in terms of how I define them rather than literally being reading and writing. I tend to think of guided reading as an adult led activity based around a book with a small group, so if they aren't ready to read themselves they all have the book and follow the story as the adult reads it or try to tell the story from the pictures or act out the story or something. Guided writing to me is again a small group doing an adult led activity which is writing if the children are ready but if not might be letter formation or guided talking.

If like you say you have a lot of EAL and SEN then I might do just one or the other each week, particularly if you tend to have other adult led activities going on, but now it's the summer term I might increase it for those who are ready since they are almost certain to be doing more adult led in year one no matter how smooth and EYFS focused the transition is.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)