Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mixed Aged Classes

Hi

I am new to this today but was after some advice and help. I have recently got a post as reception, year 1 and year 2 teacher. I was after some help from people with similar or the same mixed aged classes on how they plan and arrange their classroom to suit all children. I have no access to an outside area unless it is supervised and I have never taught reception before. So any little pointers on planning or anything would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by Guest

Welcome to the Forum lola1 and congratulations on making your first post.

I wonder how many teachers have a mixed Reception, Year One and Year Two class? Are you in a very small school? Hopefully someone will come along with some words of wisdom!

Maz

Hi Lola1 and welcome. We do have some members here in similar situations so hopefully they will be along soon. There is mixed age group planning on the lancs gfl and i think on standards for the framework.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your lovely welcome.

Maz it is quite a small school - 80ish in total.

Susan I hope the other members in similar situations read my plea for help :o and come and give me some advice. I have been on the standards site but it's only Yr1/Yr2 mix and doesn't include Reception which is unfortunate. I have also had a look on the lancs gfl and it is similar. So fingers crossed someone on here can be of use.

Pip

Hi Lola, I've taught R/1/2 mix in my final teaching placement. I did child initiated learning for half of every afternoon for all the children and then would pull the older ones out to do group work with me and my TA as appropriate.

We all did literacy and numeracy in the morning, split into ability. Would do whole class with my yr 1 and 2 and reception would be with TA then we would do group work etc.

What are your numbers? How many in each R/1/2 ?

Edited by helenhunt

Hi I am new her too but have mixed rec and year 1 in september and possibly year 2 too it is undecided yet!! In a very selfish way I am hoping not. I obv can't offer and awful lot of advce but m happy to hold hands and bounce some ideas!

I found this very very useful

http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/curriculum/earl...ge+Planning.pdf

These have been useful in my thinking too

scroll down for mentions of rec/1 and 2

http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrateg...category_id=289

http://numeracy.cumbriagridforlearning.org...category_id=132

what thoughts have you had so far?apart from the obv panic!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Helenhunt,

I already do a similar thing tou yourself. I differentiate through ability for Y1/Y2 in am and my TA has R then in afternoon we all work together on a cross-curricular topic. How did you do your planning for the whole class? I have looked at various people's planning and they have numbers next to the objectives but I have no idea where these come from :S I currently use the national strats to get my objs from but any help on these numbers would be great :)

I am doing seperate planning for Rec in morning but then just differentiating for them in the afternoon on my Y1/Y2 planning.

I have 7 R, 7 Y1 and 8 Y2 in Sept I'm going to have 10 R, 7 Y1 and 7 Y2.

Sienna, I have always taught Y1 and Y2 mix and it's not that difficult to differentiate for them all to be honest. There are a lot of really good websites out there. This a really good one to get you started - http://www.hamilton-trust.org.uk I'd advise you to cross check you're meeting all the objs in the framework though as it doesn't tick all the boxes.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I've been teaching a mixed Rec/Y1/Y2 class since February and have spent since then rearranging the room, sorting out the lack of observations for Rec and trying to gather enough evidence for maths moderation ( a long story which I'm, slowly getting to hear about from other staff at the school!) . Am slowly getting to grips with it all, but my planning is still very woolly and not as organised as I'd like. I seem to hurtle from week to week and have tried a few different ways of doing it. It would be great if those of us who are in a similar position could share ideas and especially things that have worked. I have 10 yR, 8 y1 and 8 y2. In Sept this changes to 8 YR ( though 2 are on appeal, so could be 10) 10 Y1 and 8 Y2.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)