Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Unit C5

Guest Millie

Guest Millie

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone could give me some assistance with ideas on this units elements 2,3,4 and 5. Not too sure on my knowledge of adapting/planning activites that would be suitable for children from various cultures/backgrounds with the theme All about ourselves - feelings, emotions and self-esteem.

Many Thanks

Millie

Hi Millie -

First of all welcome in and thanks for your first post! :D

Secondly, I just wanted to check that you'd read the C5 guidance article we have. In a long line of good NVQ articles, I think this is about the best and most detailed, courtesy of Sue_R! You can find it here.

If you need something more specific than that, I'm sure someone cleverer than me will be along soon! :)

Hi Millie :D

First of all don't worry too much. :o Think about the children in your setting and how they all differ - in their upbringing, religious backgrounds, perhaps with parents from different parts of the country, perhaps with parents who are divorced. I only have 8 children but they come from a variety of backgrounds! Don't assume that they're asking you about Chinese or Afro Carribean children!! In this unit the important thing is to be thinking about how you can help the children to build up their self esteem, relate to others and have a positive self image. Therefore you should make sure that your resources reflect the cultures of the children in your setting - having a range of toys/images of children from different races, disabilities, with different family groups, religions etc. I had a little girl whose mum was German and I invited her in to teach the children some simple songs in German and read a story. Children need to learn that we are all different and that that is a good thing! :) Sorry - abit rambling but I hope you understand what I was trying to say.

Hi Millie,

Welcome aboard!

Carol has a good point - don't forget that we ALL have our little (or not so little!) points of difference, and children will only know what their own experience is at first! So don't go making things unreasonably difficult for yourself! As for cultural differences, well, ask about, research...you'll be amazed what you find out, and will probably really enjoy it - OR - ask Carol for a good website :o:(xD:(

Sue :D

Guest Millie

Hi again,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for the ideas, they have given me lots to think about and they were a great help so thank you very much.

Millie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)