Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Target Setting In Fsu

Hi,

We set targets for our F1 Reception age children about 3 or 4 times a year. A letter is sent home to parents and the targets are often a mixture of social (turn taking etc) and academic. We always make sure the targets set are ones which parents will be able to work on at home with their children.

However I am having second thoughts about target setting after listening how the rest of the primary school review and update their "smart" targets with their children much more regularly. Our planning shows individual differentiation and planning for progression so staff are aware where each child needs to go next with their learning. I'm not sure whether target setting has become more for the parents to feel involved than for the actual children. If this is the case we could just give them pointers to work on with their children at parents evening. Obviously we never display targets in the classroom (just in the office so all staff are aware of all children's targets). I feel that we might be target setting more to show OFSTED continuity between the FSU and the rest of the school rather than to benefit the children.

What do other members think about target setting with such young children?If you do set targets for FS in your school I would be grateful for you views on it and to find out how others do it.

Many thanks!

Hope you are all enjoying the holidays and not working too hard!

I had to set 3 targets for each of the Nursery children - and it was specified which areas of learning specifically I had to use. I didn't see the point as most of these targets are completely irrelevant to the children I teach and their needs but I do support target setting - just wanted the freedom to choose which targets best suited which children - after all most of us have half a dozen or so things in our heads that we know we want little Johnny or Jenny to do next. Which is roughly what the parents got told too :o

Hi,

From a parent's point of view I have found targets for my yr2 child very helpful, but my Reception child is not ready for that kind of motivation. It would be helpful to know how my Reception child's teachers are planning for my child so that I can support them all. As a childminder, I think that is precisely what Ofsted are looking for - working with parents and showing your're planning for each child and might think about doing that myself.

Fe

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)