Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Multiples Of Ten

Hello there!

I am a student currently on my last placement- eekk!! I am having so much fun but always struggle with maths. One of my areas this term i addition leading to double digit numbers with carrying. I have my lesson ideas planned but I am struggling with multiples of ten and need some advice from the experts. I am planning on recaping 10 with single digits e.g. 10 +7, 10+4 etc. What is the best way to teach this to the children tho? I know it is a recap and they will know what to do but I don't know how to explain this concept. xD I have all my games in place for after the learning, it is just the main teaching points I need advice with....please. What is the best way to reinforce the concepts. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it!

Isma

PS i have no idea if this is the right forum page! :o (newbies-eh?!) x

Hi isma and welcome.

If you are teachin in yr2 then this is fine and i cant imagine that you are doing that with anyone else. If its yr 1 I'd better revise my plans!!!

I have found some excellent maths resourceshere!

Hope that helps.

Guest LornaW

Welcome isma!

Are you looking at place value and partitioning? if so do you have the cards for this. Also I have always found Dienes apparatus very helpful to explain the difference between the tens and units to children and to exchange units for tens. Here is a link (afraid i am not as good as Susan at bedding them into words!) that may be of interest

http://www.topicbox.net/Maths/Place%20value/

Lorna

Thank you! :) yeah it is for P3's, which I think is the equivalent to year 2.

I appreciate your responses so thank you! :) x

• 1 month later...

Hi there

are you sure you need to do carrying with year 2's - normally if their adding 2 digits at this age its partitioning the 2 digits into tens and ones - using a number line - I'd check if your school has a calculation policy to see which method is approriate for the age. I ve just done adding 2 digits with some bright year 1 s which we did on a blank number line

eg. 23 +25 - bit tricky to show you on here

so start with 23 add the 10s eg. 23 +20 = 43 and then add the 5 ones - ( however this was visually done on the number line to show the tens jump )

if its just multiples - apply the same asking the children to count on the number of tens eg. 23+40 - so count on 4 tens

Not sure if I 've helped or just confused thiings

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)