Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Primary Curriculum

Marion

Goodness me. I suppose if Labour get in it will go ahead later, but if Parliament is 'hung' or the Conservatives get in, some of this will be shelved. Oh well interesting times ahead, so nothing new there :o

Looking at the Conservative education plans if they get in the whole thing will be scrapped

I had a look last night when I heard about the curriculum

"We will ensure that

the primary curriculum is organised around subjects like Maths, Science and History.

We will encourage setting so those who are struggling get extra help."

"Under Labour the exam system has become devalued. We will overhaul the Key Stage 2 tests and make exams more robust and rigorous by giving universities and subject academics more power over examinations."

not feeling too happy this morning

Guest LornaW

Thanks Marion for the posting I had not seen this how devastating!

I am not at all happy that as the conservatives say...

"We will ensure that the primary curriculum is organised around subjects like Maths, Science and History. We will encourage setting so those who are struggling get extra help."

Especially the setting aspect this is indeed a bad day!!!!!!

Lorna

Discussing the repercussions with friends the question was raised how will it effect EYFS? EYFS is due to be reviewed in September and if a new test led curriculum is in place for KS1 (testing 6 year olds for reading etc) will this mean a return to subject teaching in reception?

It would be so sad if it were all thrown out now and we found ourselves going back to subject teaching and a more formal way of teaching small children. :o

As a trainee and soon to be NQT within EYFS/Key Stage 1 I was really looking forward to stating when the new curriculum came out... looks like I will have to wait until they decide to sort themselves out..

Thanks anyway

I feel very strongly that we should make our feelings known. If all teachers (on here and my friends I have spoken to) believe so strongly in the new curriculum, and we are the ones who it effects, then we should definitely make it known - but to who?

Does this mean that we are not allowed to use the new curriculum? Just thought that perhaps we could choose to if we want to?

I feel very strongly that we should make our feelings known. If all teachers (on here and my friends I have spoken to) believe so strongly in the new curriculum, and we are the ones who it effects, then we should definitely make it known - but to who?

Does this mean that we are not allowed to use the new curriculum? Just thought that perhaps we could choose to if we want to?

No you must follow the "old" National Curriculum as that is the statutory document until replaced

Time to email our local MP I think and express our views, even before the election outcome.

Definately, that's what I am intending to do. Perhaps we could have a poll on here to find out how many of us think the Primary Curriculum should be implemented. :o

Edited by sienna

As a trainee and soon to be NQT within EYFS/Key Stage 1 I was really looking forward to stating when the new curriculum came out... looks like I will have to wait until they decide to sort themselves out..

Welcome to the forum nickoverton1986. I can understand exactly how you are feeling, I am due to train as a teacher in September and like you I was looking forward to working with the Primary Curriculum.

Guest LornaW

We actually already have the ability to use a creative curriculum we just need to stick to our guns. KS1 and KS2 have had the ability to work creativly since Excellence and Enjoyment came out but the Lit and Num strategies seemed to strangle folks creativity.

Yes we must make out feelings known so when you are canvassed in the next foor weeks let then know what you think!

The EYFS is statutory so there would need to be another EDucation bill to change it so as far as EY we really should be fine but we MUST all let the government of the day know how we feel!

Lorna

The EYFS is statutory so there would need to be another EDucation bill to change it so as far as EY we really should be fine but we MUST all let the government of the day know how we feel!

Lorna

The EYFS is statutory but due to be reviewed in September (announced by Beverly Hughes in June 2008) so change was expected and a new government .....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)