Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Hieroglyphics!

Is it just me or does anyone else sometimes have trouble interpreting quite what certain sentences in the development matters mean? I am on creative development and what to know whether one of my little Key Cherubs can "differentiate marks and movements on paper" however, I can guess about 6 slightly differing meanings for this - none of which is probably what they ar looking for! I have looked in the "Look Listen and Note" for clues but am still not sure! Can anyone give me a definition/ concrete example?? :o Many thanks x

Snap, I'm afraid my answer will be a bit woolley!. I marry it up with the bit in LL&N which says How one child spontaneously makes lots of spiral marks and movements on their paper, while others may imitate each other's movements. Sooooo I like to see this kind of mark making to be spontaneous and from their own thought process not just doing it because their friend is - i.e. they seek out paper and pencil for themselves to pretend they are a waiter or something in role play

i take it as when a child makes 'marks' on paper, chalk board, white board etc and they explain that the 'wiggly lines' are their 'writing' and the circles (for example) are their family members. I would extend the mark making activity by asking the names of the people in his family and writing their names below the 'circles' :o

dottyp

Edited by dottyp

I always take it to mean, how children describe their marks and give different meaning to each one, for example 'this is a bird' (squiggly line) and this is a dog (splodge), so they are differentiating between the different marks and for movements, I would observe children describing as they are making the movements, such as making engine noises as they pust the chalk around the chalk board.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)