Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Completely Sick Of 2010! Lol

beth1

Time for a quick update me thinks!

Well been to the hospital this afternoon.

Well what a suprise it yet another ear infection (like I didn't know that!) but they are unsure where the infection is coming from! I was shattered when I saw the doctor, I have another lot of antiboitic drops. But for some strange reason they cannot sign me off work ill, even though they think I need it! In fact I came home and went straight to lie on my bed for an hour!

Soooo AGGGHHHHHHHHH the plan is, to use the drops and go to work. However if I am really struggling to hear at work tomorrow I should visit the doctors and get signed off ill again. AGGGHHHHH work will love me not, since they want me at work and not at home!

Last year I was send home ill because I couldn't use my hearing aids and was unable to hear the preschool children or the enviroment. They did consider me has an health and saftey issue in terms of fire alarms etc. OK so I know after today I seriously couldn't hear most things going on in class, now I am wondering am I considered to be a health and saftey issue or not? I cannot wear my hearing aid until I have seen the doctor 2 weeks today at the hosptial and aggghhh I need to use both hearing aids to hear in a nosy classroom.

I really don't know what to do for the best! I am confused.com!!! :o

Beth

Oh Beth,

I don't know what to say but couldn't read without replying and sending you a big virtual hug.

Can you speak to anyone at school who is supportive and can be an understanding friend during this difficult time?

It can feel so isolating being continually ill and constantly feeling under pressure.

I would suggest that you see if you can talk to your head/deputy head tomorrow and give them an update on your hospital visit today and explain how challenging you found today. As someone on here recently told me schools' can cope and have to cope when you aren't well and it's more important to think about you than about your school at the moment.

I really hope that the ear drops work quickly and finally bring you some respite from these awful infections. Sending you a big virtual hug and prayers. Remember we are all hear to support you

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Oh Beth! I do feel for you.

I think Nicky's advice is sound, talk to your Head and see what school can do to support you.

It's a vicious circle isn't it - you need to wear your hearing aids to do your job to the best of your ability, life in school is near impossible without them yet, on the advice of your consultant, you can't wear them for a fortnight :o

I would think H&S will say it's down to assessing the risk (both to you and others) of you being in school with your hearing impaired by the infections - I think you'll be looking at more time at home, I'm afraid.

It's the same for us childminders - we can't care for the children if an illness, condition or even prescribed medication have an effect on us (drowsiness, etc) I had nearly 3 weeks off a few months ago when I had a nasty eye infection, combined with a "foreign body" in the eye which had to be removed under local anaesthetic (yuk!)

Frustrating but done in the best interests of the children, I'm sure!

Hope your Head is understanding and you feel better soon.

Nona

Thanks for the advice. Sorry been to boring old maths class.

Problem is tha the head is at the lower site tomorrow, got the big boss in or my class teacher (don't find her supportive!) or even my line manager. I bet no one as noticed about the H & S issues and we have the BIG BOSS of OFSTED in this week, which maybe why they want me at work.

Anyway maths class, ummm fun I had someone sat on my right hand side and I couldn't hear them speak. Bless N she thought I wasn't listening to her! But then explains, she even says that at her job (in a preschool nursery) I would have been sent home.

Might after google H & S plus ear infections to see what the info is!

Lets see how work is tomorrow.

Beth

Edited by beth1

Well Nicky and Nona, you where right about what you have said in your posts. I do need to be at home and not at work.

I have struggled on at work for the past 3 days. I can't cope with the pain, dizzniess and disorentated at work. Never mind falling over children, can't hear the children speak that are stood next to me.

So this afternoon I am off to see the doctors to see if they can sign me off work. Even though I am on absence monitering at work. I have decided that falling over children/not hearing whats going on properly is just not right or safe for the rest of the staff/children in school. Work can complain all they want but I cannot peform my job effectivly at the current time.

The only good thing that is happening is that the meds given are starting to work. yipeeee

Beth

Even though I am on absence monitering at work. I have decided that falling over children/not hearing whats going on properly is just not right or safe for the rest of the staff/children in school. Work can complain all they want but I cannot peform my job effectivly at the current time.

The only good thing that is happening is that the meds given are starting to work. yipeeee

Beth

Beth, I'm sorry school is so tough at the moment but I think you're making the right decision for the right reason and can concentrate on getting yourself well - glad to hear the meds are working!

Let us know how you get on at the Dr's and with the Head.

Take care

Nona

Back from doctors with a fit for work statement. My role needs amending for the next 3 weeks to enable me to go to work.

Not sure how you can amend a TA role that account for loss of balance and poor hearing? So has they say the ball is in works court.

Better make some playdough later on tonight then.

Beth

Guest MaryEMac

Poor you, Beth. I rely on my 2 hearing aids and I would be lost if I couldn't use them. I really hope that you start to feel better soon.

Mary

Quick update

Well I have been at work for the whole week. Work have been really good about the fit for work note. We have made a little change of working in smaller groups of 3's and in eaither the corridoor or library where its quietier but 'public'. I am still doing the 1:1 work in the little room I use.

The meds seem to be working, still in pain but starting to hear a little better.

Beth

Another update:

Taken this nice meds, seems to have cleared some of it! grrrr Hearing is a little better BUT I wouldn't say it is back to what it was before the infection. I don't think it fully cleared because I am still in pain and its still 'leaking'.

Work have been good, the small groups in another quieter area is fab. I wish once I get better, that I can take the whole group out of the classroom all the time.

Anyway back to hosptial Monday afternoon.

Beth

Hope Monday goes ok and that they are finally able to help sort out all these painful infections for you. Glad work have been supportive.

Take care

Nicky Sussex :o

Welll...

Good news the ear infection has 'dryed up', just need the swelling to go down inside the tissues of the ear. Will need to keep a careful eye on things incase it 'flayres' up again. I can also wear my hearing aids again.

Bad news put hearing aids in and I still can't hear properly! Ummm my conclusion is that I have somehow lost yet more hearing. Need to arrange a hearing test.

He also said that I have a severe high frequency hearing loss, which is fun to know! Ummm last time I looked I had a moderately severe hearing loss. Umm so I am going to ask if I can take the whole group out in the corridor or in the libaray area, to compenate for it.

Right need to get cracking with my last english assigment that I haven't started writing. Got all the quotes ready to type out just need to write about them! AND IT DUE IN ON THURSDAY EEEEEEEEKKKKKKK

Beth

So pleased to hear that you are feeling so much better. Hopefully the swelling in your ears will go down quickly and then maybe your hearing will improve again. I think your idea of taking children out in small groups is a really good solution and it means you can safely carry on with your very important role within your setting.

Hope it continues to improve and you soon feel completely better

Nicky Sussex :oxD