Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Introducing Punctuation In Writing

Hi

I have a group of HA FS2 children who are really good independent writers who I think are ready to start using basic punctuation in their writing (full stops & capitals). They already show awareness of both of these things in their reading but I am not sure the best way of showing them how to use them in their writing.

In 3yrs of FS2 these are my brightest writers and up until now I haven't had children who were ready for this and I am a bit stuck of how to go about it. I am planning to do it as a seperate 'extension writers' group to the rest of the class.

I feel a bit of a fool having to ask for advice about this

Thanks

Don't feel daft!! Sometimes you need to ask, even when you think you know already - it's nice to hear what someone else thinks!

I have a group of very able writers too, who are using full stops. When doing shared/guided reading we always point out the full stops and the children know that a full stops means that the sentence is finished. So when we do shared writing as a whole class or as a group, we always use full stops. We write the sentence out, and then when we've written the last word I always ask them how we know we've finished the sentence, and they 'remind' me to use a full stop. In the children's independent writing the more able children are gettign really good at putting pull stops in at the end of their sentences, and they can remember what it means!!

Good luck!

:o Thanks, thats more or less what I was thinking but sometimes I over complicate things in my head when I don't need to!

I do it too! Being the only FS teacher in my school I never know if I'm doing it 'right' so it's great we have somewhere to ask the questions we can't ask in school!

I do a similar thing in the way I teach the awareness of full stops, and most of my class can all tell me how we finish off the sentence, with the most able being those who will sometimes use them of their own accord - but I find getting them to do it without being prompted quite tricky!

I do a similar thing in the way I teach the awareness of full stops, and most of my class can all tell me how we finish off the sentence, with the most able being those who will sometimes use them of their own accord - but I find getting them to do it without being prompted quite tricky!

It can be very tricky in year 1 and year 2 too!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)