Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Invoices

We were advised after a problem of unpaid/late paid invoices to include the words:

*** ****has a policy enabling us to pursue all unpaid fees. This is in accordance with guidelines issued by the Pre-school Learning Alliance (PSLA). A warning/reminder will be sent on any overdue accounts. If a second warning is needed a £10 administration fee will become due. A third warning will be followed up by County court action.

However the latest committee wants to take this off the invoice.

What do you think?

Rachel

Actually, I think it very fair to point out the pre-school's position in reclaiming unpaid fees on the reverse of the invoice, something which some parents may not be readily aware of. However, no point putting it if your current committee are not prepared to follow through!

Do they think it a very unfriendly thing to put on the invoices? Are they prepared for what will happen if fees go unpaid?

Most parents happily pay their dues, if this is not common in your group, you have to have some kind of policy and procedure to call in bad debts. Perhaps there is something you can do with the wording to make it more consumer friendly. My parents know that should they have problems paying their fees they can approach me and we will come to an amicable decision about payment, but I do know my parents very well as we are a small pre-school, if I had twice as many parents it would be more difficult to operate quite as flexibly as I would like to. Maybe your group could just say on the invoices to contact .............. in the event of problems paying fees, so that a payment plan can be put in place.

I think you need to leave it on the invoices.Mine say I reserve the right to charge 25% of the outstanding fee if the bill isn't paid within a week and that usually does the trick.I occasionally get a parent asking if they can pay alittle later, and if they HAVE explained there'll be a delay( for a good reason), or that they have aproblem then of course,I wouldn't charge it

Thanx for comments, committees don't you love em. This committee if anything is tougher than any other.

The treasurer will actually ask people why they haven't paid when she drops her child off for sessions. Late payment letters go out after one week so I think that's why the comment has gone out about the invoice, however is that not more of a shock after the first week?!

Have always had the comments about approaching staff or committee if in difficulty for payment.

Oh well

Rachel

Over the last year I have had so many unpaid fees and bouncy cheques I have to follow through with my policy or we would still not have a job.

I DO however aid parents in weekly pay, postdated cheques etc ONLY if they don't take the Micky, what all parents need to know is just because we love our job and all the challenges it brings we do still need to pay for rent, wages, training, resources etc its not a 'come and play free session'

In this climate of hardship we need to be flexiable but still ensure we are not running at a loss! A Good Profit would be nice but thats in my dreams :o

Sue

Our fees policy says we will give the childs place to the next child on our waiting list if bills arent paid. That works better than th ethreat of small claims court

That seems very fair Rea, and I can see how it would work! Sounds as though your committee are working well Rachel if your Treasurer is as on top of it as you suggest, may be you can do without the comments on the back, - I take it that 3rd reminder could well be within 3 weeks and therefore, County Court involvement etc. seems a little swift, but if your committee are prepared to carry out their threats, it would only take one parent to over step the mark :o

I give my parents a date on the invoice by which I expect payment to be made by. The following week I put out a polite notice to remind those who have forgotten, after that I make approaches if I need to, but not really been necessary.