Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Manager

Hi,

I was just wondering if you can manage a day nursery with EYPS but no other child care qualifications? I think you can train for EYPS without any other childcare qualifications as long as you have a degree? Is this true? and if it is, is this qualification enough for you to be able to manage a nursery. I am currently studying the fd in early years so not an issue for me, just wondering really. I think I have a case of assignment aviodance :oxD

Rapunzel

I have come across this and wondered myself. An unrelated degree and a year to do EYPS...... how does that compare to 4 or 5 years doing a relevant degree or NVQ levels 2 3 and 4 or of course many many years experience. Just not sure!

As a Nursery Manager with 30 years childcare experience ( the last 10 as a Manager) and a Foundation Degree, the job has changed out of all recognition really, whereas maybe 5 years ago I would have said no to the long pathway EYPS with no childcare degree, the job now is so much more about business management with childcare tacked on. So if somebody had a business/management degree and had done the long pathway full time EYPS then I am sure they would do a good job. The thing that I still struggle with is the bit about having the Nursery Manager as the settings EYP as well because I feel the two roles and all the responsibilities that go with them are impossible to manage and perform effectively. How can you act as a role model/mentor/trainer to your staff if you are spending at least 60/70% of your time carrying out the management responsibilities as well and not on the floor with the children and staff. :o

hi,

Thanks for replying, just another question. If you didn't have any other childcare qualifications would you have to do the long pathway then?

I agree with you about EYPS finding it difficult to fulfill that role as well as managing a nursery. I remeber my management days not even having time to think for myself somedays nevermind being the settings EYPS

Rapunzel

It's my understanding that with a non-childcare related degree the EYPS long pathway has to be completed, in order to comply with and satisfy the standards they would need an intensive input in childcare and child development , but am not that familiar with the criteria so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. :o

yes I'm sure you can be manager with EYPS and if you spent a year training for that, would that be any less experience than spending a year doing a level 3? i think the long pathway is 15 months and full time whereas a level 3 would usually be part time for a year or less (one of my staff completed NVQ3 CCLD in 6 months).

of course if I was recruiting it would depend on lots of things not just the piece of paper!

of course if I was recruiting it would depend on lots of things not just the piece of paper!

This is at the heart of things really - you need to look at the job spec and how each candidate measures up. You may have an EYP and someone with a level 3 and find that the Level 3 is eminently more suitable!

Maz

I suppose it depends on allsorts of things as people have stated above, and if you have an EYP who is mature, holds a degree in Social Work or Nursing or even business, with good experience in the world of work, and thn a level 3 with a few years post qualifying as a senior/deputy then I know where my money would go. It's like everything in life really we have to look at the big picture and what best suits our situation at the time. :o

going to shout my mouth off now, i think it is a real shame and degrading to our profession that you can be a manager a 'leader to others' and have very little experience with children. i have spend years working my way through a teaching dregree, teaching for years, gainning experience year after year, doing eyp etc to support my knowledge but the most valuable peice of it all is the years of hands on experience i have gained woeking with the children in order to be the manager i am today a leader of others, someone who others can be inspired from, someone with experience i can other to others, yet this means nothing and is dimoralising when someone can get into the same postion as me having none or very little experience!!!

rant over, not directed at anyone on here just to the big cats who keep chaning things for the worst and think this is ok!!!