Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Basic Provision

Hi

I am very interested in how people set up their classrooms. At the moment we have all the usual areas of the classroom and resource these areas on a weekly/ half termly basis (but are still flexible) according to needs/ interests of the children.

We do not have the areas set up as self- service 'workshop' areas apart from the technology workshop and instead store resources separately and bring them out according to planning.

I know though that some settings do have basic provision set up at all times and provide enhancements to these areas. We have discussed this possible approach in our setting but members of staff are worried that the classroom will become 'organised choas' with all resources pulled out at once and mixed up with no real learning taking place. We hve 90 children in our FSU setting and 6 1/2 adults so would be unable to be in all areas at once modelling use of toys and organisation.

Does this approach work for others and have you encountered any of the above problems? I can see a lot of benefits but can also see collegues points of view and share some of the concerns.

I would be interested in hearing others points of views.

thanks caroline

We have always had all items accessible at all times. Some things such as jigsaws and maths games are rotated so that different ones are available each half term - shorter time if needed.

I have never really thought of storing them any other way really, but as you say at times it can be 'organised chaos' (we have a similar number in our FSU) and we often have the problem of pieces going missing etc.

We have basic provsion available all the time. when we first set up like this the children took out everything and it was chaos. A few tidy up times cured that as the children realised how hard it was to sort everything out and put it away. Now they only get out what they use and it works well. We just add to the basics as necessary to fit in with our planning, theme or their interest and it works well for most of the time.

We too have basic provision out all the time, enhancing it every half term depending on our topic. We have all the basic areas, then things liked enhanced roile play as well. In our planning we make sure we have at least one adult facilitating, so she can keep an eye on tidying up, and we have a sheet which we keep up to date so we can make a note of who has been playing whre.

WE encourage our children to tidy up an area after they have played in it, and although a lot of children forget and need reminding, it does help to keep the setting a lot tidier.

I recently visited a setting working with High scope principles so all things were available at all times. But the setting itself was huge and able to have appropriate materials available and accessible. Children are encouraged in this organisation to help themselves to whatever they need and to put it away when thye have finished. The teachers used group times to model use of areas and equipment according to the needs of their group. Everything was tidy and calm throughout the session.

I did not have room in my classroom to operate in this way and would be really interested to know what you are all classing as "basic provision"?

I calss basic provision as the different areas, e.g. sand, water, m. making, painting, role play, construction etc. I class enhanced provision as if something is put in that area to do with the topic/ somthing we speciafically want children to learn etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)