Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Games For The Outside Area

Does anyone have any ideas for circle games or any other games for the outide area? Whats the time MR wolf and old MacDonald are popular but it would be nice to introduce some new ones. Are there any other favourite winter time activities for the outside area that anyone could share especially in the snow? Lookforward to any replies

Duck, duck goose is always popular!

Hokey cokey

Here we go round the mulberry bush

In and out the dusty bluebells

Don't know any for snow, though - we don't get much down here! :D

Suzanne

'Please Mr Crocodile' is ringing vague bells from my childhood! Can you tell me more about the game - I have a feeling I should remember it, but I can't quite bring it to mind!

Thanks!

Maz

Glad someone put this up - this is one area I feel I could certainly do with some more help with. So look foward to seeing lots of ideas because I don't have any apart from those mentioned already - or does anyone know of a really good book. Nikki

There is the Little book of Playground games (Featherstone Education)

Also "The Little Book of Outside in All Weathers" (Featherstone). It includes ideas for windy, foggy, snowy, rainy and sunny days. Should be a useful starting point.

Making snow moulds, patterns in the snow, snow scene - small world play. Role play arctic explorers. Look for animal tracks in snow, follow animal tracks.

Could also try colouring the snow, using food colouring or runny paint in bottles and making patterns in snow.

We haven't had enough snow to build moulds/snowcastles or snow people but we have had snow fights, see how far we can throw snow, see patterns snow leaves when thrown against the wall. Using magnifying glasses to look closely at snow flakes and watching snowflakes melt away on the floor and on our hands.

I echo what leedwa says: Featherstone is a brilliant company. I love their 'little books' - always full of good ideas which you can use as they are or adapt to suit your own circumstances.

They do all the planning for you, too! A couple of years ago our Early Years team had some money for resources and so presented each setting (even sessional pre-schools like us!) with a complete set, plus a few of the "50 things to do with a ....." (although I think these are not published by Featherstone) as well.

A couple of the books have been written by people in our Borough - the fabulous Suzy Tutchell wrote the puppets one, and Julie Quinn wrote the one about dance.

Oooh, sounds like I should be on commission!

Maz

We were faced with snow during ofsted - I sent my phonics group out and they children were writing initial sounds in snow with coloured water in squeezy bottles, went down a treat!!! Do you have an outside mark making box? I find mine invaluable and it was easy to put together.

I try and have a group doing some sort of activity outside as we are lucky enough to have a lovely enclosed play/garden area. I would also recommend the featherstone books for ideas.

Wow! I love the idea of writing letters in the snow with coloured water ... did you think this one up yourself? I'm always amazed at how invented early years teachers are :D

Harricroft

Thank you everybody for your response that was my first post and i couldnt wait to log on to see if i had any replies. Im certainly not dissapointed and look forward to trying out the many activities and games. Feathersone books sounds great and i will use the link to find out for myself. Thanks again

Hi Sunny and welcome! :D

Thanks for starting such an interesting topic.

Beau, I still dont know how you've got the patience to plough through all those sites that google produces. I gave up long ago, after I found this site!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)