Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Community Childminding

I was wondering if anyone is currently working as a community childminder or has worked previously as one and gave it up. I have just finished my first case. I found it very disheartening and I was very upset by how it was handled by social services (I do appreciate that they have a very hard job to do). I was wondering if anyone else had any experiences (good or bad!) they could share as I am seriously considering giving up. :o

Thanks

Hi Faye, sorry to hear you've had a bad experience!

It's not something I've done. The Network Childminders in my area are asked to take on cases for Social Services, young mums or short term respite for families in need, usually where the children have been identified as having additional needs.

I've steered clear because I KNOW I'd get too emotionally involved :o

Nona

eh up faye, finally found someone on here that I know in person! Its a 'calling' doing work like that and I think that very often social services know this and take advantage of us. Chin up, I'm sure you'll be back at it in no time. After all we do it for the kids don't we. ;-) xxxxxxxx

Hi there I am a community minder and I throughly enjoy the actual work. What I do find frustrating, exasperating, disappointing and occasionally dishearting is the attitude from other 'professionals' towards a 'mere childminder'.

What I do know is that community minding can make a massive difference to the children and families and if you are a strong person who can champion the family and keep plugging away at these other professionals and agencies in a professional manner (all very professional isn't it :o ) then barriers start to be broken down and you get treated with respect (fingers x'd).

I do find the work extremely rewarding, different, sometimes a challenge but as I say i know I make a difference and being a person who won't take no for an answer and that there has to be a workable solution, i get where the wind doesn't and get in peoples faces (all very nicely of course) to get the best for these children/familes and for myself.

Don't get down about it - get professional xD

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if anyone is currently working as a community childminder or has worked previously as one and gave it up. I have just finished my first case. I found it very disheartening and I was very upset by how it was handled by social services (I do appreciate that they have a very hard job to do). I was wondering if anyone else had any experiences (good or bad!) they could share as I am seriously considering giving up. :o

Thanks

I worked as a community childminder for two years, the kids were lovely (most of the time), parents tolerable (most of the time), its social services you need to watch for. I alway's thought if an accusation was made against me, which is easy done when you work alone and have no witnesses, especially in families where physical abuse is known. I alway's thought social services would support me, not the case I was reported to Ofsted by a social worker. The child accused me of something which I obviously cannot discuss,only to say it was not an accusation of abuse or of any other serious nature. The social worker never approached me, I only found out when my Community Childmining Officer was called by one of her bosses. Ofsted were not happy because I'd not reported the accusation, which I had to explain that I wasn't given the chance to as they called me before I knew about it. Luckily for me I had two independant witnesses as the incident was supposed to have occured outside school.

I understand there are procedures when something like this happens, but social workers put us in a vulnerable position all the time. I've lost count of the amount of set-up meeting I've had at parents houses and the social worker as told me not to go in on my own, then they ask me to collect and drop the child off after every session with me, obviously alone. I've had many cases where the home environment is deteriorating and the social worker hasn't told me or warned me to take more care.

All I expected was the social workers support, I would gladly go through any procedure if an accusation is made, I understand the procedures I've done it long enough. All the social worker had to do was phone me and ask, even the social workers boss was discusted that she hadn't reported it to him fist and had gone straight to Ofsted. It was a nightmare month that could have been sorted with a little bit of communication,I have to give credit to Ofsted though, they were brilliant and even telephoned me to say they were taking no action as they were happy I had done nothing wrong.

I haven't done any work for social services since then, they only had two of us in our area doing work for them and they lost us both because of this. Despite this I would consider doing community childminding again, I enjoyed the work very much and giving these children a normal happy childhood for a few hours a week is so worth it. However I would ensure that procedures change before I do. So please all of you take care and do not rely on social services to cover your back, they are only interested in protecting themselves.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)