Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E-safety

Hi all

My school have recently created an e-safety element to our ICT curriculum, however the ICT coordinator would like me to help him with the Foundation Stage. I think it is really important to begin educating children as early as we can about computers and how to keep themselves safe as it can be a very dangerous place.

The main areas that I think we need to focus in Foundation are;

Teaching children how to close down screens, when using the internet so that they know what to do if they see something that they don't like.

Asking permission to use the computer and talking about what they are doing.

Speaking up if they don't like something that they see.

I also thought that it might be a good way in to use a few stories, for example Little Red Riding hood could be used to show children that people can pretend to be something they are not. Obviously this is all at a very low level but beginning the process which i feel is very important. So many of our chidlren use the internet at home unsupervised and we need to educate them about how to be safe.

My question is..... Can you think of any more stories that I may be able to use as a starting point?

Thanks

Not got any advice, but thought I'd add something else to think about; my daughter is in Foundation 2 (I am F1/preschool) and whether this has come from her brother or not (aged 7), she is obsessed (as is he) with guessing my password. It drives me nuts, and no matter how much I try to tell them that we do not tell anyone our passwords, they still insist on shouting out their guesses to mine at the top of their voice (and often in the supermarket when we end up discussing chip and pin too). I know at our school they don't get given their passwords until year 1, but it may be something worth touching upon?

Clare x

Not got any advice, but thought I'd add something else to think about; my daughter is in Foundation 2 (I am F1/preschool) and whether this has come from her brother or not (aged 7), she is obsessed (as is he) with guessing my password. It drives me nuts, and no matter how much I try to tell them that we do not tell anyone our passwords, they still insist on shouting out their guesses to mine at the top of their voice (and often in the supermarket when we end up discussing chip and pin too). I know at our school they don't get given their passwords until year 1, but it may be something worth touching upon?

Clare x

Thanks Clare, it is funny you should mention this because we were discussing this at school the other day. So many of our children know their parents passwords and tell us about it! Goodness knows who else they are telling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)