Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Copying Vhs Onto Dvd Is It Legal?

Our old TV with video is on it's last legs so we have just bought a flat screen TV with DVD for nursery (the logistics of using the PC and whiteboard are a nightmare). Most of what we watch is on video which is not available on DVD and what we can buy is VERY expensive. Does anyone know if we are able to copy onto DVD legally? The kinds of programs we want to save are Storytime and some old Playschool programs. I know the other option is to have a video player conected up and we might have to do that. All advice gratefully received. Many thanks Anne

Hi Anne -

I couldn't give you absolute certainty on this, but I think two things are true:

• If you want to make a backup copy to another media, and as long as you own the video material, and you don't plan on selling the resulting DVD, it's legal.
  • You might find that the VHS tapes have a copy protection signal on them which prevents copying to DVD...

But I think others will quite possibly have more direct knowledge than me. :o

I'm pretty sure that it's legal as long as you keep the original video tape. I know that it's fine to upload your CDs onto your computer as long as you don't give the original CDs away. I would imagine that the same applies to videos.

As Steve said if you're creating a back up up copy and only using that or the original it's fine. If two copies are being used that's not fine.

Does that make sense?

think you can do it if it id to remain in the same place and not be sold as others have said - just out of interest are you aware that you have to have a performance licence to show things like this in your settings ?

Copied and pasted from the internet

Public Performances of Videos

Videos/DVDs cannot be shown in public places, including classrooms, without public performance rights (s. 29.7 (3)), which are granted by the person who owns the copyright. A "public place" is not defined specifically in the Copyright Act but is a place that is not a private home, so, a classroom or student union building are considered public. Even if the video is being shown for educational purposes, and no admission is being charged, you must secure public performance rights. This applies even if the video was purchased from an American company.

I don't think a lot of people are aware of this and it is one of the many reasons I don't have televisions or videos in my Nursery, but that is another whole topic maybe ? :o

Guest jenpercy

And you have all got music licences, right!!! Actually, I think that it down to the owner of the premises for some licences - but i rent space in an adult ed college. they asked to see my music licence so I forbade anyone to play music!!!!!!!